Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Gonna Take 2...


These are my girls.

They're twins.

Identical.

And I can't talk about one without talking about the other...

they came as a package...

but yet, they do not live identical lives.

Haley is in 7th Grade...

Hunter is in Life Skills.

They attend different schools...

Haley at one of our local middle schools...

Hunter at the school for the blind.

They were 13 weeks premature...

27 weekers.

We spent 95 days in a NICU...

not knowing until the very last one if we would ever bring Hunter home.

It was Twin to Twin Transfusion....TTTS for short.

And though far from accurate...

the only way I know how to explain it in a way most people...

without medical knowledge...

can understand is, it's the last step before conjoined twins.

I had an extremely severe case...

and statistically I should have never been able to have my girls...

they should have never survived.

I could be here for hours talking about how small they were at birth...

1 lb., 2 lbs...

all of the complications...

there are stories within stories with all that...

but instead...

I just want you to know them.


Haley is like every other young teenager out there...



trying to figure out who she is...

who she wants to be...

a child beginning the journey into adulthood.

She's extremely intelligent...

artistic...

loves to read and wants to be an author/illustrator when she grows up.

She plays the piano...

loves giant pickles...

hates math...

is starting to discover boys...

and has the ability to be perfectly serious while causing you to lay on the floor in laughter.

She's all her own.
  

Hunter is blind with cerebral palsy.



She cannot walk unassisted...

she didn't speak until she was almost 5 years old...

and I have never heard her spontaneously tell me she loves me.

She is susceptible to infections...

and statistically I will lose her to pneumonia...

so we are cautious with every cough, every runny nose.

She will never live independently...

never know the freedom of driving for the first time...

she will never know the blessing that is motherhood.

But she loves without conditions...

finds laughter and joy in the everyday...

has a smile that can light the darkness of night...

and a giggle that is so musical...

I imagine it's a sound that can only come straight from heaven's angels.

She is all her own.

 
I am blessed beyond measure...

the joy of healthy children...

the love of a special needs child.

They are twins...

genetically identical...

but they will live completely different lives.

Haley...

upon the birth of our oldest son...

and realizing not all babies come in pairs...

once asked why her and Hunter are twins.

And I simply told her...

"God said this life is going to be so special...

so incredible...

it's going to take 2 to live it".


7 comments :

  1. What a beautiful blog today Renee. Both of your girls are beautiful, but you know that. Both will do great things, but you know that. Both are special in their own right, but you know that.
    I have worked with kids with disabilities for 22 years now, for the last 15 in vocational education helping kids with all kinds of disabilities get jobs. Maybe not the job they wished for, but a job none-the-less and something to do with their lives that brings meaning and purpose. I bet both your daughters will surprise you with all that they accomplish, but then, you know that too. I loved hearing about your family today. Glad you shared it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to know that every single one of your blogs has made me cry...sometimes with laughter, but every single one brings me to tears...you have quite a gift, lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,

    I came to thank you for coming to visit me and its my turn to say thank you for sharing such a wonderful post. So well written and on one level I relate, but such a superficial one in regards to your twins. Journeys come in all forms don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a special woman and I am truly enjoying the opportunity to meet you and your family through your words. Thank you for sharing of your self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, I clicked on your blog after you left me such a nice comment on mine and told me you love your NICU nurses. I want you to know we love our parents as well. We spend so much time together we become family. I so enjoyed reading today about your girls. I too have a special needs child that will never do the things "normal" people will get to do. I believe it has made me a better nurse. Your post today is reminding me of a set of twins we have now in our unit, they were 26 weekers. Almost on the verge of getting ready to go home. I believe their story will be much like your girls....it breaks my heart sometimes. I have heard people say what a lucky job I have to get to "play" with babies all day. While that may be true at times as you know first hand....it isn't like that at all and along with joys is such true heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, your post about your beautiful girls has left me speechless. I am deeply touched by your writing, Renee and so very happy to have found such a remarkable woman out here in blogland. Mostly I follow paper crafters, some will share a bit of there personal lives and some just their crafts. I am one of the latter but thinking maybe it may be more therapeutic to share more than just my cards? Thank you for your heartwarming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. Two beautiful daughters and obviously an equally beautiful mother. Marybeth suggested I take some time to learn about your family, and I'm so glad I did. My heart is warmed tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...