Monday, January 31, 2011

A Piece of Time

Edited for PTI'S Anniversary Week
Since I've only been blogging for a couple of weeks and before that I never really took photos of my cards...I don't have a lot.  I've always made cards with specific purposes in mind...so I'm reposting this card from just earlier in the week...I've actually made a couple of these and I do love this stamp set and how it all came together...I apologize if you've already seen this! 




Children.

Our little pieces of immortality.

I cannot remember what I may have done last week...

or even yesterday...

but I remember each of my pregnancies...

each birth with absolute clarity.

And though admittedly the 9 months of pregnancy I had to go through for 2 of them...

6 months for the doubles but it was planned for 9...

were not my best moments...

I do not take pregnancy well...

I do shine in labor and delivery though.

I do not remember what I ever found humorous or laughed at...

what made me smile...

before I had children.

I don't remember what once brought me joy...

or what could once break my heart from the sheer volume of love that fills it.

But I know I am blessed beyond measure...

and if I was slightly younger...

and not quite so tired...

I would probably go for number 5.

Two girls...

two boys...

and a tiebreaker.

But I think it's time for me to enjoy friends, who are younger, having children.

To see in them what I have already experienced.

The past year has seen many friends and acquaintances now experiencing the joy that is motherhood for themselves.

Most are from our local school...

and I have avoided any contact with water in said building because I'm pretty sure there's something going on there...

and I've had my Mom so busy crocheting afghans...

the poor woman just started asking me "Next color?" as she would finish one and begin to start another.

This is the last one...

at least for now.



 
She crochets beautifully.

And it's almost a lost art form...

machines can now do what used to take human hands to stitch...

a human mind to count those stitches.

That's why we hunt for doilies, old pillowcases, tablecloths...

in antique shops...

at flea markets...

thrift stores.

They are a piece of time...

a piece of the past...

and we want to hold onto them.

Her afghans are beautiful beyond words...

and she has made them for as long as I can remember.

Sometimes...

they were the reason we would have groceries for the week...

or gifts under the Christmas tree...

and I still have every one she made for my children...

to someday pass down to them...

and hope they will cherish that it was their grandmother's fingers who wove these beautiful pieces of time.

I hope the person receiving this recognizes this afghan for what it truly can become...

a comfort when a child is ill...

a layer of warmth for chilly nights...

a lullaby sung in a mother's voice...

a childhood...

a piece of time.






Note*  I had to soften these photos because of very harsh shadows
           with the moon and stars on the card
            I know...Photoshop.
            Still taunting me!
            And if I CASEd this card from you...will you please let me know so
            I can give credit where credit is due.
            I honestly don't know if I did...I made a similar one a few months
            ago and I just can't remember.

Supplies: All Card Supplies PTI unless noted
               Cardstock: Sweet Blush and Stamper's Select
               Dies: Mat Stack 3 and Double Ended Banner (small)
               Ink: SU
               Moon and Stars: EK Success punch
               Misc: Ribbon and bling

12 comments :

  1. Your card is absolutely beautiful. I love the softness of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful baby girl card! I love the moon popped up and the bling in the sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and totally dreamy. Lovely card and post combined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is so soft and pretty...like the little touches of sparkle around the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee.......Your family is so talented! Your cards are always so beautiful. This one is just so precious with the pink, white and yellows. Your mom's afghans are just amazing!!! Beautiful on all counts for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Great baby card! The afghan looks so soft and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The card is beautiful and the crochet work is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the card!! That is so soft and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet post, Renee! Your card is beautiful and your Mom's crocheted blanket is simply
    beyond-words-gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a sweet card and post, Renee! Loved every word, and that card is amazing...great layout and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your card is so soft, sweet, and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renee,
    Love that card,so sweet and girly. My fav colors too. My grandma did knitting and crochet as well, so much love in all!! and don't you dare drink any of that water!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...