Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Am My Mother's Child

OK...

took Dinky to school this morning...


and was talking to Mom...

yes...

sometimes I talk and drive but I was in the school parking lot...

when she mentioned an estate sale close to his school.

Told her I would run by and see if there was anything she would be interested in...

since I was close by.

There is something about my Mom...

she collects things.

Lots of things.

Depression glass is her top thing.

But dishes...

crystal...

antiques...

oh, yeah.

The woman collects.

In fact...

she collects so much...

she needs to add a room onto her home to house her collections.

Lucky for her...

her brother is a contractor.

So she's just waiting for him to have the time to literally add an addition to her home to house her glassware...

dishes...

antique radios...

dressers...

sewing machines...

name it...

she has it...

or is looking for it.

She gets carried away at auctions...

if something is going for a really good price...

what she considers "giveaway"...

she'll buy it.

She won't need it...

but "it was a great price!"

In fact...

when she first discovered ebay...

she even bid against herself!

I can not count how many antique dressers she has.

And a couple of months ago she went to an auction...

bought 2 more because they were "giving them away"!

I have one in one of my halls.

It's the blanket chest.

I got my wardrobe because it was going cheap.

My dresser...

cheap.

She is the reason love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married  has said...

no more furniture.

I told her to watch that TLC program...

Hoarders: Buried Alive.

She's dancing on the edge of that one.

So anyway...

I go to this estate sale for her to scope it out.

Wasn't impressed when I pulled up...

not a great neighborhood.

Wasn't impressed when I first walked in either...

but didn't want to be rude and just turn around and leave.

So I walked through...

junk.

That's all I saw.

And I didn't find a single thing she would have been interested in...

or needed.

But then...

I went into a bedroom...

and lying there...

I found these...

 Pay no attention to the wrinkles...

I snapped these right when I got home and they have not been laundered yet.

Look at this rooster!

And these pictures do not show how truly vivid the colors are.

And this one...

How gorgeous!

Sorry...

didn't realize he was sideways.

But isn't he adorable?

And...

A hand crocheted table cover that is absolutely striking in person...

unbelievable craftsmanship.

And last...

More Jello tins!

OK...

so you now know I love vintage linens...

look for them everywhere...

and I'm so hooked on those adorable tins...

not as hooked as Mish over at Mish Mash...

but hooked.

And if you happen to know anything about these tablecloths...

I have general idea but would love specifics...

era...

origination...

pattern...

please e-mail me.

Even if you're just taking a guess...

e-mail me.

Now...

this is where I brag.

How much do you think I paid...

for all of it?

Come on...

you have to guess.

Just guess...

because I really love playing the guessing game.

OK...

I'll spill...



wait for it...



a little longer...



just guess!!



OK...




$2!

And that's with me telling her to keep the change!

So did I get a deal...

or did I get a deal?

I've been so happy all day over these treasures...

now off to see if TLC is showing Hoarders...

Yup...

I am my Mother's child.

3 comments :

  1. I could have sworn I was on Mish's blog instead of yours. This sounds so much like her. $2, what a deal. I especially love the crocheted piece. How fun to go to something like that. I have never been to anything like that, yard sales in CA are usually just junk. Nothing that I would consider vintage. Sounds like you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a whale of a deal, Renee! I guessed $10 for everything and thought that was low! Don't know anything about your linens, but I like them and love the jello tins too ~ isn't if fun to find such treasures out of other people's junk :o?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, they were giving it away! LOL my mom is a borderline hoarder too

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...