Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Laurie's Card Aisle Challenge

Laurie over at SoapboxCreations put out a challenge earlier this week to "shop" the card aisle for inspiration...

check the challenge here.

First off...

like her...

I used to live at Hallmark just browsing...

and buying.

I LOVE cards...

all kinds of cards...

especially the funny, off-the-wall, sometimes...

off-color ones that I would never consider giving to my Mother.

But then...

a little over a year ago...

I discovered card making...

and Hallmark lost a very devoted customer.

At Christmas they put out the singing snowmen...

love those little guys...

and grab one every year.

They didn't have them in 2009...

so disappointed...

but brought them back for 2010 and I could pay $30 for one or...

I could buy 3 cards and get it for $15.

I spent 45 minutes searching for 3 cards that I would actually spend the money for...

and with every one my thoughts were...

"I can make that"...

"They want how much...I can do it cheaper".

Finally just grabbed 3 $.99 money holders, my snowman and ran.

So this challenge was fun!

I was "shopping" cards and snapping pictures...

and almost fainted when I saw what they want for cards!

No lie...

some of the ones I shot...

$6.99!

So I came home and then realized I can't transfer pictures from my phone because...

my cord ran away.

So excuse the following photos...

but here's my inspiration card...

Whoops!

Don't know how that happened...

pretty sure it's not my fault though (giggle).

And here's the price for said card...

you may want to sit for this...

A little blurry...

but yes.

That's reads $4.29.

Now here's my super simple interpretation...

Pennies!

Literally...

what my card cost.

You have to join this challenge...

I've seen the conversations about how some believe we're "saving money" by making our own cards...

I've always laughed and said "Yeah..." (very sarcastically)...

but based on the current card prices I saw last night...

they may be right!


The Details
All Supplies PTI unless noted
Cardstock: Hibiscus Burst, Aqua Mist, Raspberry Fizz
Stamps: Inside & Out: Birthday
Dies: Tag Sale 3
Ink: Momento
Misc: ribbon, vellum

15 comments :

  1. I love it renee! Can't believe how much the store bought card costs! Wowzers! Your is CAS and adorable! Love that tag too! Thanks so much for playing along!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't bought a card for so long now, but pretty sure each card I makes costs at least $20. LOL, your card is such a good take on the store-bought one. I actually like the tag and pocket it is in much better. I like how the sentiment on the tag shows through the vellum. Great job on the challenge. Even though my cards cost more to make due to my addiction, I know I get so much more pleasure from making them than I ever did buying one at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "made from the heart" card, Renee! Much nicer than the store bought one, that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Renee, I like your version of this card much better! It looks so carefully made, with lots of personal detail. Great take on Laurie's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun challenge!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun challenge and a fun post! I have not been into a Hallmark for years, so I imagine it would be a hoot and a shock to see the mass produced cards. I like yours SO much better :) That's an amazing vellum pocket for a tag that I still HAVE to get. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to go to Hallmark all of the time too. I haven't been in a store in a couple of years. I can't believe how much that card is.
    TFS
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to do the same at Hallmark. I often tell my husband they lost one of their best costumers too. Love your take on the store card,yours is simple and beautiful. Thanks for your comment, on my granddaughter. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great CASE of that 'other' card! I definitely like your version better! I haven't even looked at the cost of cards in years....I'm going to be shocked I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a wonderful card! Love the CAS design! You should make a ton of these just to have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great take on the card, Renee. Love how the tag looks in the vellum envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute card Renee! I cannot believe that someone would pay that much for a card in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the clean and simple look of your card.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out so cute!! you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...