Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Battle for Helm's Deep...

 

is over.  The battle for middle earth is about to begin.
                                                  Gandalf
                                                             The Two Towers


OK...

maybe it's not that dramatic...

and maybe it doesn't actually involve Middle Earth...

and okayyy...

I'm not Gandalf...

but this does involve a battle...

over my bed...

and sleep.

This battle began the day the hospital gave us our oldest son to take home...



he was 2 days old and they actually gave him to us...

they kept our girls for months...

the doctors should have known better...

we didn't know what we were doing.

That first night set the tone for the last 8+ years.

And it is all love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married's fault...

he put #1 son in the bed with us.



Yup...

that thing that experts recommend you don't do...

guess what...

there's reasons!

One being...

he's still there!



And now...

he's brought Dinky too!



It's been an off and on battle for years...

the last year seeing them both just move in with me...

I won't bore you with all the details...

all the fights...

all the tears...

just know...

I haven't had a lot of sleep.

I wake up each morning hunched over and walking like I'm about 80 years old for the first hour...

from having not 1...

but 2 sets of feet in my back.

My guys...

they don't lay vertically in a bed...

but horizontally.

I don't like anyone touching me when I'm sleeping...

I'm not a snuggler.

And after almost 19 years of marriage...

love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married has finally learned that there is an invisible line in our bed...

he better not put a toe over it or...

I will awaken him by shoving...

and sometimes more forcefully than intended therefore launching him from the bed and onto the floor...

him back over that line.

My guys...

they're snugglers...

and they don't care about my line.

And since shoving them out bed and launching them through the air and onto the floor could result in bruises that DCS may decide to question...

I have not had a full nights sleep in so long my body has learned to exist strictly on caffeine and naps.

All of this came to a head a few weeks ago when I ordered them new mattresses...

in hopes that I could reclaim my bed space by bribing them with memory foam.

I went over 72 hours with no more than 4 straight hours of sleep and a few naps.

This battle began right before Jodi was due in town...

the battle lines had been drawn...

I was holding the line blocking all attempts at crossing...

I was strong in resolve...

desperate for sleep...

and not backing down.

I had to miss Jodi.



Which at that point...

they would have probably arrested me for public drunkenness...

which may have been fun if I had actually been drunk...

at least I would have had fun getting there...

but probably not so much fun for just being sleep deprived.

I traded Jodi for sleep.

And after nights of screams, tears and begging...

and the boys just refusing to listen to all my pleas...

they finally slept in their bed...

all night.

I awoke refreshed...

I was able to stand upright immediately upon leaving the bed...

the sun was shining...



the birds were singing...



a glorious day.

I had won the battle...

but I had missed Jodi.

I've wanted to meet her for years...

and I missed her.

But I got sleep.

And last week...

while perusing McKay's Used Books in Nashville...

otherwise known as "Renee's Crack House" because I'm so addicted...

I found this...



a 1st print.

It's my favorite Jodi book...

the one that had love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married ready to commit me when he found me laying on the floor, curled into a ball sobbing uncontrollably...

I've been searching for years.

And you know...

she's been to Cincinnati before...

a few times...

and it's only a few hours away...

so maybe next March will be time for a road trip with the girls...

maybe it will finally be the year I get to meet her...

I will be well rested...

and she won't have me arrested for being drunk.




Note* Jodi, Gandalf, sun and bird photos all taken from the web.



9 comments :

  1. Sorry you had to miss Jodi. Glad you're finally getting some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post today Renee. Glad you are finally sleeping through the night. Big accomplishment, and I am sure you will see Jodi again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow Renee, you are a MUCH more patient Mom than I could ever be, my kids would have been kicked out of the bed a long time ago lol! I don't like being touched in my sleep either, and whenever my kids crawled into bed with us when they were younger I inevitably got kicked and poked all night long. I'm glad your problem is solved now, lord knows we Mom's need our sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing! I'm sooooo glad you are finally getting a good night's sleep! It was worth missing Jodi, really. (This from a fellow book-a-holic, no less.) You need to be well-rested so you can be healthy and live long enough to read all of Jodi's future books! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgive me if this is a repeat comment--I think I might have clicked on the wrong button before! I wanted to say that I'm so glad you got a good night's sleep, and it was worth missing Jodi because you need to be healthy to read her future books! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story is SO entertaining! Loved it! I absolutely MUST have my sleep or I am not good for anything. Can't imagine how you managed for so long! Definitely worth missing Jodi. You have to think of the big picture! Did you get her new book yet? It really is good. I never could get into her last one but this is like the "old Jodi" (IMHO).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Renee....I totally understand about getting sleep! My kids both still come and sneak into our bed and inevitably we get poked, kicked, and sweated on because of them. Now, don't get me wrong, I love to snuggle but when it's time for sleep, LET ME HAVE IT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that I'm laughing at this. Don't hate me. Your writing is so vivid. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am laughing too! Don't hate me either! Love your story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...