Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Don't Laugh At My Eggs




They're ugly.

I know this.

But they have a purpose for being ugly.

I'm a value shopper...

with 4 kids...

I don't have choice.

I have caviar tastes...


 and a bologna budget.



So I value shop.

Love clearance sales.

I may love them a little too much...

love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married believes so.

Here's a conversation that has been had many times in our house...


H: What is that?
M: I don't know...but it was 90% off.
H: What do you do with it?
M: I don't know...but it was 90% off.
H: You bought something that you don't know what it is...
or what it does...
because it was on sale?
M:  It was 90% off and when I finally figure out what it is...
and what it does...
I'm pretty sure I will have been searching for this for half my life...
and you mister...
will be very proud that I am such a good shopper and that I got it for 90% off!


Yes...

sometimes...

I call him mister.

So a few years ago I found these ugly eggs on clearance after Easter for 75% off...

and they are so ugly they're cool!

They're nighttime egg hunt eggs!

See this strip...

it glows in the dark!

So we have held a nighttime egg hunt every year since and the kids love it!

It came with flashlights and the kids love hunting for the eggs in the dark with a flashlight...

so cool!

Now...

they may enjoy it even more if we actually did it outside...

like you're supposed to...

but we live in the South.

In the country.

And there's this thing that Mom is extremely scared of...

SNAKES!

And we are not talking about little garter snakes either...

we have those too...

but we have copperheads...

cottonmouths...

and rattlers.

And there is no way I'm letting my babies get out in the dark and find one!

So we hunt in the house!

We turn out all the lights...

certain rooms aren't included...

and they can't peek while the eggs are being hidden!

They look forward to it every year...

way more fun that hunting in the heat...

or the cold...

and this weekend...

possibly rain.

There's prizes...

and prize eggs...

and when it's over...

they usually want to hide them and do it again.

Because of this...

some of my eggs have been broken...

and lost...

and we're down to about half of what we did have...

plus that glo-in-the-dark strip...

it never did "glo" too well.

So today I was out and found this...
it glos!

REALLY glos.

So I picked up some bright, cheerful eggs and now I'm applying some of this tape to them...

and the kids are going to have a blast Saturday night!

Have you ever had a nighttime egg hunt?

Do you do it with your neighborhood...

outside?

Or are you the paranoid Mom that I am and make the kids hunt them in the house?

If you have never tried this...

seriously...

this is so much fun...

gotta give it a try!



Note: All photos taken from the internet except the ones of my ugly eggs.




7 comments :

  1. Your posts always bring a smile to my face :) I've never seen glow in the dark eggs and I've never done a night time egg hunt. But one things for sure, there's no way in H E double toothpicks that I'd be doing a night time egg hunt outside if there were SNAKES around, ewwwwww!!!! You're a GOOD mommy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most wonderful tradition. Your kids will have the greatest memories of this and I absolutely bet they continue it with their own children one day. Not crazy about the snake part of the story. Don't know if I would ever go outside or work in the yard if that was the case here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, you are too funny!!! I can't imagine coming across a snake on my egg hunt, but I guess that adds some spice to things. LOL! I think the eggs are an adorable idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEP, NO SNAKES FOR ME!!! No way Jose! But this is a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! What a fun, cool, unique idea--glow in the dark eggs for a nighttime egg hunt! One of those ideas you would never think of on your own but when introduced to the idea, you say, "Now why didn't I think of that?" I agree with the *inside* part of the hunt--we have rattlers too . . . and skunks . . . and coyotes! Not even the dog goes outside (on his own) at night! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome idea! I am not laughing at your eggs at all!! Night time eggs...my kids would freak out over those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I have never thought of this and am so excited for you! Have fun! Share details afterward!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...