Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It Was Like the 1800's...



last night at my house.

The storms came.

The storms knocked out my power.

The kids just about drove me nuts with...

"I'm bored" and

"When is the power coming back on?"

We went to bed in the dark...

we woke in the dark.

I had no coffee.

I told love-of-my-life-man-that-I married that if he didn't go up to Dunkin" Donuts and get me coffee...



I was going to make Jack Nicholson in The Shining...



look like a sweet little angel on Cloud 9.

He even brought back donuts for the kids...

sprinkles for Dinky.

They hit about 1:30 pm yesterday...

and I have been nervous a few times with storms since moving up here on this hill...

yesterday about 1:33 pm I crossed over to scared.

The rain started...

hard, pounding can't-see-anything-it's-falling-so-hard-so-fast-rain...

lightening...


thunder rolling...

but no worries.

Just a storm.

Then as I was looking out the back door it wasn't just rain anymore...

the winds came.

That's when I crossed over to scared.

Grabbed Hunter...told Dinky to follow and got them tucked away safely.

But the winds...

I've never seen winds like that.

I knew they had spotted a tornado a few miles from us...

wrapped in the rain so you couldn't see it...

and knew it was headed in our direction.

but it was when I saw pine trees on the back of our property that stand 100+ feet bowed almost in half...

and saw the wind trying to lift our filled pool...

that I got a little scared.

We didn't get a direct hit...

I really think we only caught tail winds...
(cue The Goo Goo Dolls "Long Way Down" from Twister soundtrack)

but hubby saw trees and things on his way to Dunkin' Donuts this morning that would have been in that same path...

uprooted and broken.

No damage for us.

Just no power till around 10:00 this morning.

I kept telling myself to think of all those in Japan who have been weeks without power...

who have lost everything...

family, friends, homes, belongings...everything.

I lost nothing...

a slight inconvenience.

Turns out I'm quite spoiled and really not a very a good person...

I wanted my power.

Today has been a beautiful day...

after storms for the rest of the afternoon and most of the night...

today shined bright...

the sky a gorgeous, cloudless, azure blue.



Chilly winds.

We were at almost 90 on Sunday...

70's yesterday...

and 50's today...

but beautiful none-the-less.

So in light of the day we had yesterday...

and the fact that I'm only courageous after the fact...

thought I would share this book with you...


Love this book.

Actually came out last year...

but I loved her debut so much...

I had The Stormchasers on pre-order and gobbled it up as soon as it came to me.

And yes...

it's about tornadoes and storm chasing.

I actually think storm chasing is really cool...

but since the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz...
has more courage than I do...

I only do it from my front porch.

Seriously...

I have actual pictures of a tornado going over shot right from my front porch.

My favorite time is right before a storm.

I love to sit out on the porch...

the winds whipping...

and literally have warm air on one side...

cool air on the other...

there's so much energy you feel like you can literally reach out and just grab a handful from the air.

When the lightening starts...

I go inside.

Yeah...

that's me.

I dance on the edge of danger...

laugh in its face...

then run and hide.

But if you haven't read Jenna Blum...

give her a try.

Those Who Save Us is a WWII era story...

modern day but with flashbacks...

and I freely admit to having a "thing" for that era...

one of my favorite time periods.

The Stormchasers is modern day and has absolutely nothing to do with WWII...

but love them both...

and highly recommend both.

An incredible storyteller...

an incredible writer.

Hope everyone has had a wonderfully glorious day...

I have hot water again so I'm going to take the longest, hottest shower on record...

right now!



*Note- All photos except for The Stormchasers taken from the web.

10 comments :

  1. Well I'm glad you're safe! This was not a funny thing to happen to you, but your post still made me laugh out loud, you have quite a sense of humor and way with words ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it through it safe! Sounds like you had the weather we had Sunday and then cooler weather Monday. We had a microburst here and I was shopping at Target when it happened! I wondered why all the trash cans were all over the road going home! Found out what happened when I got home! This crazy Midwest weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a way of making the worst situation comical. I loved Those Who Save Us. One of my favorite books last year. I can totally identify with the "I'm bored" comment from your kids. No tv, how did anyone live like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you and your family are safe and that you were able to get your Dunkin' Donuts coffee. (What a dear husband!) I'm sure it was terrifying at the time, but I'm glad you can laugh about it now. We've been having some warm weather here in Northern Cali, but the cold and rain is supposed to be returning soon. Looks like your storm is headed our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I can't even imagine! How scary, but glad you and the family are all right! I love your story........ : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are safe Renee! Love your storytelling:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, Renee, you really captured how it feels during a storm--especially those extra scary times when it is dark (as usually occurs)! Glad you all stayed safe. And thanks for your book recommendations. I just finished Every Last One by Anna Quindlen and Ape House by Sara Gruen (I got this one when Water for Elephants was checked out). And now I have started Jodi's new book! Quite by accident I found it at a used book store after it was just brought it!! Have you finished it? And how was the book signing???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading your story. Did you get my email the other day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your book recommendations! Sorry for the storms you went through, that is no fun. Glad ya'll are ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you really know how to tell a story, Renee. Lots of Charlotte lost power that night, too, and, while we had electricity at home, we didn't at preschool. Since our classrooms are nice and bright and we did have water, we decided to open anyway... and then I remembered... "oh, no! No power = no coffee!" I called the other director and she found an open Starbucks on her way in and brought a travel jug of coffee for the staff. Made the morning bearable... and we did finally get power a little after noon. :) Glad your property was fine and, mostly, that you and your family were safe. I'm with you, though, I'm such a wimpy girl, but when I think about all those who are truly suffering... well, it makes my little inconveniences seem petty. (And makes me feel a bit like a spoiled brat!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...