Friday, May 13, 2011

She Was the Meanest Teacher

Her name was Mrs. Hickerson.

She taught 9th grade Science.

And in a school as small as the one I went to...

when you came to the 9th grade...

there was only one teacher.

You started hearing of her in elementary...

and each year brought new stories as you inched closer to being placed in her class.

By the time I was entering 7th grade and leaving elementary to enter Jr. High (Middle School these days)...

fear was beginning to set in...

I'd seen her.

Her class was across from the office...

and you couldn't enter the school without passing it and see her standing at her door...

correcting anyone who stepped out of line in any way.

She was old.

I came to discover that she was old enough that she had even taught my daddy when he was in school.

So I started praying that she would retire before I got to the 9th grade.

Sometimes...

prayers aren't answered for a reason...

because that one sure wasn't.

My parents had raised me that the teacher was the boss of a classroom...

and while there...

I was to respect and obey.

I always knew that my parents would back the teacher in any situation...

and would support any punishment deemed necessary by them.

So before entering Mrs. Hickerson's room for that first day of school...

my daddy reminded me of these rules and told me he would stand for no disrespect from me of her.

I'm pretty sure he was convinced that it would be the year I would be expelled...

and she would be the one to do it.

But nope.

I had heard the rumors and if not for respect but just plain, basic fear...

I kept my mouth shut in her class.

And we got along.

I came to find out that rumors were far from true...

she was no where near the tyrant teacher she was made out to be.

But she was a teacher.

And she was there to teach...

and she expected you to learn.

9th grade was also the year of frog dissection...

and I wasn't looking forward to it.

I always figured if God had meant for us to see what's on the inside...

he wouldn't have covered the outside.

And now you know why I'm not a doctor.

But I'm crafty even if I'm not exceptionally smart...

I picked a guy for lab partner.

No.

Not one I had a crush on...

or secretly pined over.

Nope...

I picked one that I didn't really even like...

and tried to avoid...

but knew he would cut that frog.

I got my mom to raid the surgery dept. at work...

I had surgical gloves...

a mask...

even a gown...

and when the day finally came to dissect that frog...

I was prepared.

I suited up and took my place at the lab table...

and with scalpel in hand...

I stood there.

Then I closed my eyes.

I didn't open them again until Mrs. Hickerson came over and in a gentle voice asked...

"Renee...can you see through your eyelids?"

"No Ma'am... 
     
But I figure God didn't want me to see all this so that's why He made mine extra heavy".

She grinned slightly and then asked...

"Well...when you're done holding your scalpel...

can I have your gloves since you haven't actually used them?

They're much better than mine".

I learned from her that it takes 7.9 seconds for the human body to go from perfectly healthy...

to deathly ill.

And I remember it every time one of my children is fine...

running, playing, laughing...

and then in what seems like the blink of any eye...

we're fighting to get a fever down...

and scheduling a doctor's appointment.

She retired a couple of years later.

And a couple of years after that...

she passed away.

I went to the funeral home.

And I saw many of the ones who once spoke ill of her...

and put fear of her in me...

there as well.

We had all grown...

some had even matured a little...

and we realized what an incredible teacher she had been...

and how enriched we were for having sat in her class.

She wasn't famous by Hollywood...

or New York...

or Washington, DC standards.

She does not have a star on the walk of fame...

a library in her name...

or even a statue erected in her memory...

but she was famous.

That's why when trying to figure out end of year teacher gifts...

I kept coming back to Lisa Johnson's Button Boutique project from February.

It still takes my breath away.

And greatly inspired my project.

I love that quote...

and yes...

I think it applies wonderfully to teachers.

In the life of a child...

they are famous.

And the lessons learned from time spent with them will stay with those children for the rest of their lives.

The impact of those lessons may be like a buttonhole...

we never really think of it...

we just know it's there.

It's been 25+ years since I had Mrs. Hickerson...

but 7.9 seconds.

I remember.

Now...this qualifies for 2...

count them...

2 challenges!

First...

This week Erin Lincoln challenged us to selective inking...

check her video here.

So...I used this technique on the back of my shadowbox.

TO is from Teacher's Apple...

SOMEONE was centered and then stamped with the rest of the sentiment from Big Birthday Wishes.

The card front also used this technique...

AFFECTS ETERNITY was inked and stamped below the word TEACHERS...

then the remainder of the sentiment was stamped on the bottom of the card front.

Subtle...

nothing life shattering but I did use the technique.

And...

even though you can't see it there yet because Blogger erased it...

the card also meets Suzanne's new challenge over at Papertrey Paper Dolls

which...

unless she changes it...

is stamping on pattern paper.

I hope it counts anyway.

Remember all Doll challenges are open to everyone and we would love to have you play along!



The Details:
I'm keeping this simple since it's such a long post...
and I've forgotten most of it...
everything is PTI except for...
ink, rickrack, and pattern paper (Cosmo Cricket Material Girl)
Though stamps used are:
Teacher's Apple, Button Boutique, Big Birthday Wishes
Quote was provided by the talented Lisa Johnson at Poppy Paperie.

18 comments :

  1. My daughter-in-law is a teacher,she's going to love reading this! Cute card ~ thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it Renee!!! I am sure the teachers will too! As always your post made me SMILE! I remember my frog experience... it was 10th grade.. and I had no part of it.. let the boy do it all for me! I couldnt! Took a bad grade and am still ok with it! My son on the other hand cant WAIT for that class! LOL!!!
    Hope you have a FABULOUS weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already told you, but I love this. Great story to go along with it too. Did you color the apples on the card or is it stamped? I love that you can see the gingham behind the apples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooo Hooo TWO challenges in one!! Yay for you. I LOVE this card and framed gift. WOW!! The large doily off the edge is so eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful ... I even got a bit choked up with the story of Mrs Hickerson .. isn't it funny the people that we fear the most are the ones that leave the biggest impression ...
    Love your projects ... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee this is so lovely and I'm sure the teacher will be thrilled. I loved your story about Mrs Hickson and you write so well that I felt I was in that classroom with you!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This project is really beautiful, and I am sure the teacher is going to adore it!! And what a lovely story!! I have a teacher story a little like this one, and it ended up being one of the classes in high school that I still remember content from because he was such a good teacher! Loved reading this! Great job with PTI's Make It Monday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY RENEE!! This is so fabulous, including the story, that I could cry!! It's awesome!!
    So will you be getting the apples tonight for all the kids' teacher cards??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on both of them! Love the story you told about your teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Renee, this is sooo wonderful!! I just love everything about it! and as my mom was a kindergarten teacher and my grandaddy was a teacher and principal... i just have so much appreciation for projects like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I haven't commented on this yet. I saw it, loved it, and keep coming back to it! Wonderful, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great job. I especially like the frame - love the green and red combo, the buttons, how you used apples on the button card - everything. What a beautiful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! You did a wonderful job on the frame and the card! Beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful gift, Renne! I have to tell you that I got a quick sneak of this project last week and it was YOU that put me over the edge with this stamp set. It's on its way to me now. And I'm happy about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous gift! The teacher is so lucky to get something so special. Both the shadow box & your card are so lovely and so well done. And your story is priceless. Isn't it amazing how we perceived adults when we were young. Teachers often seemed SO OLD! Hubby taught high school biology and was one of the no nonsense teachers. But it's always funny when former students have come back & told him how glad they were that he made them learn certain things that they found out they needed when they got to college!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is one of the most thoughtful teacher gifts I've EVER seen! So absolutely beautiful Renee.....your work is flawless! Love those apples stamped on the gingham!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story. Love the projects. This is a great teacher's gift. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...