Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Age Is Foolish...

  ...and forgetful when it underestimates youth
                                                     ~Albus Dumbledore

Last night when I sat down to try and produce a card for the CAS-ual Fridays #7 challenge...

I realized that I have had these "Har Re-Potter" stamps from Bug-A-Boo for almost a year and have only used them once...

Robert made his teacher a card for Teacher Appreciation this past year using the Harry image from last night...

she's a big Harry Potter fan too.

And when we made the decision last November to allow him to go to the midnight show of the 1st part of Deathly Hallows...

she took it very easy on him that following day knowing that he had been out extremely late...

as long as he swore not to breath a word about the movie because she wasn't going until that night.

Now you may question how responsible we may be as parents to allow him out at midnight for a movie...

on a school night...

but we're not irresponsible.

We didn't rush to the decision...

we laid down rules allowing him to go...

homework...

dinner...

and sleep before going...

but we saw the bigger picture...

something other than just responsibility.

We saw a chance for a memory.

One so embedded in his childhood that he will remember it long into adulthood.

One that someday...

far in the future...

he will be able to draw from as a parent.

To realize that sometimes you have a chance to create something magical...

memorable...

in the eyes of your child.

I'm by far not a perfect parent...

I make mistakes every day.

But when I someday look back upon my life...

I hope that I have given my children not only what they will need to succeed in life as an adult...

morals...

values...

the courage to follow their dreams...

but also memories.

Memories of a childhood that was far too short.

Splashing in mud puddles in a light Spring rain...

lying in a field on a sunny Summer day as a gentle breeze sways the tall grass...

puffs of billowy clouds floating lazily overhead in an azure blue sky with eyes closed against the glare of a sparkling sun while you allow your dreams to take flight and soar.

Autumn days spent swaying on the front porch swing while the rustling dance of fallen leaves provides the soundtrack of a perfect day losing yourself in the words of a book that will forever one of your favorites because of the memory it recalls.

Winter days spent bundled in hats, scarves and gloves against the cold as you glide down hills of snowy white, pitch the perfect snowball and flop onto the glistening blanket of freshly fallen snow as you imagine yourself taking flight.

Memories.

Someday when we look back upon our lives...

will there be enough memories to live that life again?

Will we want to?

Or will we instead think of how hard childhood was...

preparing so hard for adulthood that we forgot to live it?

I want my children to remember.

I want them to look back and remember with a smile.

I don't know if this was exactly what JK Rowling meant when Dumbledore spoke of youth...

and how foolish we are to underestimate it...

but for today we'll pretend it is.

That youth should be allowed to be enjoyed...

that the wonders in a child's eyes should be taken not as childish dreams...

but as endless possibilities.

I could do a hundred cards using Dumbledore's image...

all the incredible...

thought provoking quotes from his character.

And I have more images from this set...

more quotes...

I think they may make a nice little gift for a Harry Potter fan...

so you'll see more...

at some point.

And last night was my first time attempting color blocking...

the latest challenge at CAS-ual Fridays...

and I think this technique works perfectly for these images...

allowing the images to speak boldly and not being lost in the background...

so I guess technically this fits the challenge too...

so though nothing spectacular...

neither was the other...

very simple...

I'll enter one more.


The Details:
All Supplies PTI unless noted
Cardstock: Royal Velvet, Plum Pudding,
Silver
Stamps: Bug-A-Boo
Ink: Copics
Misc: printer paper

6 comments :

  1. Another great HP card. I never would have thought to look for HP stamps--so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your subtle color background for this fun image! A very effective design!I'm so glad that you play with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly loves Harry Potter. Read every one, saw all the movies and is looking forward to the last one. Your post reminded me of something Carly and Matt have always done. Memories. They go to the midnight first showing of that horrible movie series, Saw. I, II, III, and who knows how many others. They went to the first one when Warren and I were out of town and Carly was staying with Matt. They still talk about that night. Doing something that Mom and Dad might not have allowed her to do. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Renee.......Do stop! LOL TY for the link for these images yesterday. I have to say that you really know how to do Dumbledore justice! Your coloring is amazing and your color blocking is just perfect. Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fun!! Perfect color blocks for Dumbledore!! Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just have to say, I am SO glad you let your son go to the midnight movie. I was sad after watching the final Harry Potter with my husband last week, that we weren't able to do it with any of our kids. Our oldest is barely 8 and gets spooked by the simple things so it wouldn't do. Your card is lovely too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...