Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Buttons, Buttons, Buttons

Do you get the feeling this post is about...

buttons?

*giggle*

OK...long post...

but I'm so excited and have been waiting almost 2 weeks to post this...

so grab a cuppa and sit back.

First...

this about my friend Cathy (Empty Nest Crafter).

I started blogging at the end of January...

met her right away...

and in the short time that has passed since then...

I feel like I've known her for years.

Every month at PTI peeks and previews...

we're back and forth...

speculating and talking about what's coming...

seriously.

Reminds me of 2 teenage girls talking about prom...

"Who are you going with?"

"What color is your dress?"

"Jewelry?"

"Hair up...hair down?"

"When is your curfew?"

Every month starting on the 5th...this is what we do.

I actually think I love this part as much as I love the actual reveal...

it's so much fun guessing what's coming...

then seeing the previews...

figuring out our "gotta-have-or-I'm-going-to-die" lists...

and release night...?

We're back and forth till midnight when we cut all communications until orders have been confirmed.

Like clockwork...

every month.

And this is where the story really starts.

Remember PTI's Anniversary month back in February?

It was my first.

I had heard all the talk about what goes on during Anniversary...

and I was not disappointed.

OK...

a little disappointed.

I didn't win the year of free stamps.

OK...

a lot disappointed.

But I wasn't alone with that...

hundreds join me in that disappointment...

so I'm ok with it.

But during peeks we saw a new concept by Michelle Wooderson...

Cathy and I both felt we were safe with it on sneaks...

thought it was just a new button line...

we were wrong.

Previews came...

and the night they finally previewed that new concept...

Button Boutique...

THUD.

I died.

Hit the floor...

and I'm pretty sure I passed out and lost consciousness for a few minutes.

So at midnight on the 15th...

I was gunning hard for it...

and in my cart it goes.

Cathy decided to pass that night...

wanting to think on it...

make sure it was something she would use.

So when my order came in and she asked me to just cut her a few cards to try...

I decided it would be better for her to play with it first hand and sent it off to her.

She was hooked.

And since that time she has fallen totally and irrevocably in love with it.

We've both decided it's one of the greatest stamp sets...

not just of PTI's...

but EVER!

Of all time.

So fast forward to my new addiction...

Pinterest.

I find these...

Pinterest...bakerella.com ( I LOVE bakerella!!)
and Cathy automatically comes to mind.

How cute would these be for gifts?

In a box...

tied with a ribbon...

and a vintage button card to match?

Then I find these...

Pinterest...goggle.com
and that's when my mind started turning.

If I can buy it...

then I can make it...

and on the hunt I go.

I wound up at amazon...

love amazon...

love anyone who brings me a box with "amazon" written on the side.

And there...

is where I found this...

Amazon/CK Products
At this point you can smell something burning because my mind is really turning now...

and I ordered one for Cathy and I.

Only when they came in and I tried to do what I wanted to do...

it wasn't working.

It said it could be used with gum paste...

and my idea is similar to the consistency of fondant or a gum paste... 

and I want to know how you get that out of these molds?

I couldn't...

not without messing them up anyway...

and if you know a secret...

please tell me.

Seriously!

I'm not lying...

TELL ME!!

So I had to send her mold off without being able to accomplish what had love-of-life-man-that-I-married questioning what was burning.

It's good for candy melts though...

and just imagine how cute those little button candies would be in something like this...

But since we're experiencing 100 degree weather...

I wasn't sending chocolate off to melt and be nothing but a huge blob by the time it made it to her.

So I resumed the search and found the back up.

Yup.

Amazon again.

It's new.

And I'm excited.

Ready....
Amazon/Wilton
AAWWWW!!

(That's a scream in case you're wondering.)

This is more like what I'm used to...

thicker...

but soft and flexible...

and that's what I needed to make these...


I grew up with my Mama making these for baby showers...

weddings...

sometimes just family get togethers...

butter mints!

And not just any butter mints...

but the best butter mints you will ever in your life taste!!

I had to let these air dry since I was shipping them...

but believe me they are still the softest, creamiest butter mints on the inside...

melt-in-your-mouth-make-your-taste-buds-do-a-happy-dance good!

And remembering back to a past post of Cathy's and how she had received some of her favorite candy from a PTI friend...

York Peppermint Patties...

I knew she would love the butter mints.

I know some people don't like mint and I understand that...

no!

Wait...

I lie...

I don't understand that.

I...

who have the eating habits of a 3 year old and have never eaten Chinese or even a casserole in my entire life and personally believe that all restaurants should offer the option of divided plates so that food is never allowed to mingle with other food and...

who once...

upon learning of the menu at an author event where dinner was courteously being served...

wrote and requested only chicken fingers and fries...

on separate plates.

Me!

The person whom everyone fears of having over for dinner lest they serve something I won't eat...

which unless you keep to certain basic items...

is pretty much everything...

can not understand people not enjoying the flavor of mint.

That cool, refreshing sensation...

mmmmmmm.

I don't understand.

But I do try and accept our differences.


So anyway...

I made Cathy button butter mints!!

And since I found all of these...

on clearance after Easter for like pennies...

and I stocked up though I had no idea what I was going to do...

past throwing out the gummy bunnies...

with them...

I did this...

And then I did this to go with it...




OK...

I know the card could be better...

I wanted the button cards to be shiny so I tried Heather Nichols "cracked glass" technique...

only I didn't mean to actually "crack" them...

and I wanted the recipe for the mints to be included on it...

so I used one of Michelle Wooderson's teeny tiny clothespins that Cathy had sent me to pin it to the front.

So let's talk about the mints!

We'll just focus on the positive right now...

though all constructive criticisms are always welcome and you are free to express your opinion at any time...

but your thoughts on my idea that caused love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married to go running for the fire extinguisher.

Like them?

I hope Cathy does.

I hope they aren't a big blob by the time the United States Postal Service gets them to her.

I can already see these in deeper colors (I had to use what colors I had on hand)...

reds...

deep greens and yellows...

for Christmas!!

Maybe whites...

various shades of blue if I go with a snow theme...

can you tell I'm already making plans?

And since these can be frozen for up to 3 months...

I suggest some precautions before freezing for that long but it can be done...

I don't have to wait till the night before a gift is needed to make!

And look at what you can do with Button Boutique to go with these tasty treats...

WARNING:  These are not complete...

just "prototypes" of ideas so you get the idea...

I'll perfect them later...


I'm also seeing the gingerbread man...holly...

snowman!!

See...if you do not already own it and agree...

Button Boutique is the PERFECT set!

Perfect!

Now...if you like this idea...

or any of the ideas...

you don't have to like everything...

just the idea...

or would like the recipe for the mints...

they're uber easy peasy...

leave me a comment before Sunday night at 11:59pm Central telling me so...

and I will draw a winner to receive one of these molds...

sent straight to you by me!

And if you're extra gentle...

please...

I may even send a batch of mints for you to try first! :)

Unfortunately though...

due to the cost of shipping...

I'm going to have to limit this to US residents only.

And make sure to use your name and reply e-mail addy when leaving a comment so I can get in touch with you!

And please don't worry...

if you're like me and have some slight OCD issues...

like the eating habits of a 3 year old...

and all your towels have to be folded precisely to where all the lines line up perfectly...

(since handing this responsibility over to #2 daughter recently...I'm trying to overcome this particular issue...before they lock me up...or she kills me)

I also have handwashing habits that have required love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married to inquire about buying hand soap by the barrel.

Seriously.

But we'll save that treat and all my other little "ar issues" for another day! :)




The Details:
All Supplies PTI unless noted
cardstock: Vintage Cream, New Leaf
Stamps: Button Boutique, Bitty Background Blocks,
Peace...Be Still: Holiday Button Bits
Dies: Ric-Rac (sm), Button Boutique, Nestabilities (circle)
Ink: Momento, SU, PTI 
Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket (Material Girl)
Buttons: PTI
Misc: tins, lace, mini thread spool and clothespin (discontinued at Michelle Wooderson's Etsy shop), seam binding, and stick pins


Edited: 7-5-11 The post containing the recipe can be found here!
Thanks so much for so many requests!!

55 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness! Your blog is hilarious!!!!! "Clicked" over from the PTI forum. Your card and project are amazing. Recipe share, please. I'm not sure what a butter mint is but sounds yummy deelish.

    Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea, I love it! The little tins filled with the button mints with matching card is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny. I love the way you write. Is there any way you will be sharing that recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee - this post is too funny! My mom has also made mints for every occasion I can remember since, well, the beginning of time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun post! Thanks for inviting us fellow PTI fans over for the treat! Yes, please, please share the recipe. I made butter mints a long, long time ago from a recipe I had found online and have not been able to find that recipe since, so I need a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just glorious! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. Just what I needed. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! These button mints and your card are the cutest things ever! I have the button boutique set also, but I haven't even come close to playing with it the way you have. I guess I need to check out Pinterest more too! Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. And I'd love the butter mint recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, you are so cute & funny!! I love your blog and this post had me CRACKING UP! The button projects turned out sooo cute, and I would LOVE to get a copy of the mint recipe. My husband's cousin made some for our wedding and I adore them =) Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute is this idea ........ TOTALLY FABBY!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT and for me there is nothing better then waltzing out of a restaurant and have a butter mint..... so need that recipe if you are allowed to share or I can pay with one of my children JK ......maybe :) I love Cathy too ......she is a total PEACH and cute as a button :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post. So yummy. Even if I don't win, can I please have the recipe..... pretty please. I love to bake and make candy, but I have never seen anything like this. I just recently got button boutique, but haven't even opened it yet (my shopping is a little ahead of my crafting these days.) Anyway, those button mints are to die for. I made some polymer clay buttons for Cathy, but she could not eat them, so I'm sure she liked your buttons better. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, you cannot entertain us like that and then NOT share the recipe! Your blog posts crack.me.up. They are like candy themselves and I can't stop reading for want of more!
    LOVE your cute button candy and those adorable button cards. What a great gift. Cathy is lucky.
    And although I pride myself on broadening the tastebuds of picky eaters everywhere...I fear you may just be a lost cause! *chuckle*
    I would love to meet you IRL and hang out, but we COULD NOT eat together Renee! LOL! My youngest asked for steamed artichokes for his 6th BD dinner if that gives you any clue...HA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so cute! And those button mints are adorable! I love your packaging and the beautiful card. I'm sure Cathy will LOVE them too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness - you just keep right on tooting! I love this post - everything about it! Would love that button mold and mints AND the recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your project is just awesome! And your post just cracked me up. That mold is darling andi would LOVE your recipe for mints. I love, love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ummm.... amazing!!!! and thoroughly entertaining :) Thanks for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am new to PTI. I do have this die and stamp set. I love it. The mints are a great spin of the Button Boutique set. Please post your recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Renee,
    You have a wqay with words. I love reading your posts. Love your idea about the buttery mints. Will have to try making some.
    Krillsister

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post, Renee. I love butter mints as well. I'm so bummed when I go to a wedding or graduation party and they don't have them. Don't they know they're required? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Renee, I just won on Debbie's blog give away, so don't consider me for yours okay? (I want to share the fun with others!) But, I wanted to comment on how adorable the butter mint buttons are!!! Cathy is sure to love them!!! AND I had to laugh when you talked about folding the towels. With four children in my house, me working and homeschooling, I can't get it all done. I've had to hand over some things -- including the folding of the towels and washcloths. Imagine me trying to teach my 7 y/o (who really couldn't care any less) my OCD way of folding the towels perfectly and of stacking the washcloths so that all the folds are on the left and the open corners in the upper right. I've had to learn to let it go and it's been good for me. :) It will be for you, too!

    And I'm loving your ideas for other button boutiques + snacks. :D ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post and project! How very thoughtful of you to make it and send it to Cathy. Love the little mints, they look scruptious. I used to be a 'nothing touches' sort of an eater, but for some reason it's all changed after I had my daughter - maybe because I don't have time to separate it anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore mints. York peppermint patties are my 9 yo granddaughter's fav candy. In our family we have picky and non picky eaters It makes live (cooking) so fun! Your project is adorable. I have the button boutique. It is quite possibly my favorite set from PTI Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. FUNNY! and adorable! I love Button Boutique too...one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Renee, this post is hilarious. Love your sense of humor and graciousness. What a clever idea for packaging your delicious butter mints with a matching card! Why don't I think of buying candy tins on sale to alter and just toss the candy? Will watch for clearance after the 4th of July. Looks like all of us want your mint recipe. Button Boutique is still on my wish list.
    bdlakebum at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are too cute, Renee! I love your gift for Cathy and can't believe you found a button mold! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Renee, These sound great. What fun you had. I loved reading about it.
    Love Button Boutique.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a happy post! And what a mold!!! I am sure Cathy will love your gift and you do know that you MUST share the recipe...STAT! Thanks for the entertainment tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG, hilarious post! And what a fun idea to make mint buttons. I'm sure Cathy will love them. Your card is wonderful too. I had to laugh at your comments about folding towels--so me! I'm better now though. There was a time I would refold them if anyone folded them 'wrong'. And I'm finally better about food touching. I never combine two foods on my fork but I can eat them if they are touching on my plate! Can you guess I was a finicky child!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this project! I personally love mint and cannot understand others disliking it! I also hate new foods... we have some things is common. Love your project and your cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those darling little mints are just too cute. I'd love to have the recipe. I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Every year I make goodies to give as a token of appreciation for friends in my life. This is such a good idea! Thanks for sharing such a great idea and instructions

    ReplyDelete
  31. How stinkin' cute are there? I so love reading your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this post, and you've made me more excited about using my Button Boutique set.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an awesome post, found you from PTI. Your friend is very lucky indeed to receive such a wonderful gift from you. I too would love the recipe!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yep - I think I am going to need that recipe! And I love the packaging and card you made to go with it. I can see my Mom and I making these for gifts for her friends (who are all big into sewing).

    ReplyDelete
  35. You crack me up! I love your button mints and card, too. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled to receive them. Definitely need that recipe! And you're going to make me buy Button Boutique, since it has not come to live with me yet!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cool! Love this post - you are hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been among the land of the missing, so I'm glad I spotted your thread on the PTI forum and came here to take a look. I LOVE your ideas for button boutique! I loved the "idea" of this stamp set from the moment I saw the peeks, but have done NOTHING with it yet (I have used the button dies with chipboard but have yet to cut the button card die or stamp with those stamps, shameful, I know!) Thanks for sharing all these wonderful ideas, Renee, I will definitely be trying some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  38. love the idea, LOVE the post, and LOVE those butter mint buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have to say that in person, these mints are even better than the pictures look! They are so good and the card is spectacular. She used the cracked glass technique and there are so many individual elements on it, it just has to be seen up close to believe. I am so GRATEFUL to have such a wonderful friend. I hope everyone gives this a try, it is so cute and what a great way to use what is probably my very favorite PTI set! Thank you Renee so much. What a wonderful and funny post to go along with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, how creative, what a fun idea! I have always used candy molds for plaster ornaments and such, so I could see doing some plaster or polymer clay buttons. But I LOVE butter mints, so I would love to have the recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG! I want to be your friend! Your writing style is pretty much how my best friend and I talk. I LOVE IT! AND...dont' get me started on the buttons. I would give my left leg for some of those mints because they sound divine!!!

    Even if I don't win, please send the recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my goodness..these are just way too cute. I have always loved buttons but once I found PTI, now I have collections of them. Your work is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my! I LOVE butter mints!! LOVE!! Yes, I'm screaming!! LOL!! My mouth is watering and I am dancing up and down with my hand up in the air shouting, "pick me, pick me!!" LOL! Ok, seriously now, alhtough I SERIOUSLY DO LOVE BUTTER MINTS, your idea, your card, your packaging, your gift to Cathy...everything is so sweet and adorable!! So cute! So fun! I'd LOVE the recipe too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. You are too funny. What a great idea! They do look yummy and I love how you packaged them. I am a big fan of that stamp set too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love you girl!! You never fail to disappoint with your blog posts:) Can't wait to try the butter mints. Love your ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yup. Did it again. Made me smile and laugh while reading your post. Loved it. And you couldn't have chosen a better person to become BFFs (Best Forum Friends) with. Cathy is a doll...I'm a bit jealous. ;-)

    Ok, a lot jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the mint buttons, Renee... a stroke of genious, for sure! I haven't made mints for ages, but do love them. We've also done them with cinnamon oil before instead of peppermint -- and those are really good, too. But maybe that'd be a little wild for your taste... :) Thanks for sharing your great idea. (And lucky Cathy... hope they arrive to her in perfect condition!)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh Renee, you slay me. Yes, I'm OCD--doesn't every one arrange their buttons, paper, yarns, socks, towel, etc. by color and size? Why those lazy wenches! However, OCD takes time & therefore I have yet to try making butter mints. I'd love to try a sample, but feasting my eyes on your creations has been very fine indeed. Thanks a bunch. WRE

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are adorable, Renee, just like you! What a sweet gift for Cathy! I had an urge to make after dinner mints not long ago (the melt-in-your-mouth kind), and bought a mold and got a recipe. Yeah, still sitting in the craft room, not made, LOL! I'm proud of you for actually making your mints!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Clicked over from the pti forum. You might have just convinced me to buy button boutique with the buttons b its! Have never considered it before... hmm...:)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Loved your post, Renee!! The way you decorated those tins is so cute and they're perfect for button mints. I remember when you blogged about those tins that you got on sale and now you found a great use for them!

    I also love the holiday button cards you've got started! So, so cute!! They are so perfect with the button stamp set!

    I've been taking Wilton cake decorating classes and now you've given me an idea. How cool would a cake be covered in buttons!! :) Would love to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  52. love this fabulous gift idea! would love to try to make some of these! laura j

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a great post!! Buttons, buttons, who has a button?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Well I missed the Sunday night deadline, but I wanted to tell you how cute and wonderful this all looks. AND, I'd love to see you post the recipie for your buttermints. What a wonderful gift with a fabulous card. Now I want the button card stamps....Thanks a lot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  55. AMAZING post Renee! I love love those mints when my SIL makes them. Just delish! Thanks for always putting a smile on my face.....I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...