Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Recipe

OK...

had to go cook dinner...

which in and of itself a very hazardous thing for me to do because as I was telling my friend Suzanne (The Card Yard...and isn't she just a Doll in every sense of the word?) earlier...

I read...

a lot...

but apparently I do not know how to read because when they tell you to avoid steam...

darnit...

they ain't kidding!

Giving birth 20 times in one day naturally does not compare to that pain...

or I'm assuming because I've never actually attempted that...

didn't mean to attempt the other because let me tell you...

that steam burn HURTS!

My thumb bore the brunt of it...

it's got pretty little blisters now...

and I'm thinking that I should use this occasion as evidence that I should probably not cook.

Love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married has already barred me from coming within 10 feet of his grill for the last oh...

15 years...

how was I supposed to know you're supposed to open the lid before turning on the gas?

Maybe this will help keep me out of the kitchen...

and if you could give me some ideas on how to work that laundry situation while you're reading...

most appreciated!

*wink*

Now...

y'all have made me feel like instead of my horn being possibly fully defective...

and it may not be a big ole' dualie of a *HONK-HONK* horn...

but could possibly be a little *beep-beep...excuse me* horn...

made my day and I'm sending smiles, hugs and kisses...

and probably as an added bonus...

some germs because I have 4 kids...

your way.

Along with...

the recipe.

They are uber easy...

I love making these!

And so yummy for the tummy!

*giggle*


Butter Mints

2/3 cup of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 c softened butter (I use salted because then you can skip adding salt later)
3-4 drops of peppermint flavoring
7 c. sifted powdered sugar
food coloring as desired

Cream the milk and butter together...add flavoring...then slowly add sifted powdered sugar.  Make sure you sift it because otherwise you're going to have a whole lot of sugar!  When it starts to get to the consistency of dough...you can separate and add coloring...separated to however many colors you want.  I do recommend using the paste colorings versus liquid...just trust me on that one.
By this point I've already given up on mixing with a spoon and have slipped on some disposable kitchen gloves and just mix with my hands.  Then you're ready to mold!

A few tips...
This batch will make up to 200-300 mints...depending on mold size...and you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
When freezing...I use single layers with sheets of wax paper in between.
When you need them...they only need to defrost for about 30 minutes and then I lay them out in a single layer...like on a baking sheet...and let them air dry for a couple of hours so that they don't "merge" together.
If you're going to ship or package...I would recommend about 6-8 hours air drying.
You don't have to mold all at one time...just wrap your mixture in a freezable container and pull out when needed!

I hope y'all enjoy these...they are so minty delicious!

And Dana...

I would love to hang with you IRL too :)...

but I have never attempted an artichoke in my entire life and I don't think I ever could...

but I do like bread.

That's what I usually eat at my in laws...

before hitting the chocolate stash in my luggage!

But surely coffee...a latte...chocolate!!

*smile*

11 comments :

  1. YAY for the recipe! These do sound delish and I'm convinced I can "veganize" them too.
    And dipping steamed artichoke leaves into melted lemon butter is pure heaven. But I DO make pretty good homemade bread so I think we're good to go! *chuckle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, and sorry you burned yourself. OUCH. Steam burns really do hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this recipe. Sounds much easier than other recipes for mints I've seen. Do you know how much salt to add if you are using unsalted butter? Do you know how much sugar in grams? (I usually bake by weight--more accurate and fewer dishes to wash).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee! I am so sorry you hurt yourself! I think I read something about soaking your thumb in flour? Is that right? I might google that and see what it says... thanks for the recipe and for those links you sent me earlier! If I could print from this computer I would totally try it, but I need help from my hubby to do that. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so sorry about the burn! Thanks for sharing the recipe--sounds great! I've never done butter mints but have done chocolate melts several times. Hubby & I even made pink & white chocolate hearts for our wedding. It was a second marriage for both of us so it wasn't a huge affair. It was just fun that he was willing to help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does not sound fun but this recipe sounds AMAZING! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Hope your burn heals soon. The recipe sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, poor sweetie! Sooo painful. Hope you're healed up now! That recipe makes a LOT of mints and sounds perfect for freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch...sorry to hear about the burn. But once again your post has made me smile. I love the mints and card. What a fun gift to give...and get. I love butter mints so I'm going to have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I'm super late to the party, I sure hope your blisters have subsided and you're all better by now. Thanks so much for the recipe...I can't wait to give them a go! I'm sure my kids won't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I added your recipe to my tutorial page. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...