Monday, July 25, 2011

Papertrey Blog Hop

It's the 25th...

time for another Papertrey Ink Blog Hop...

and I remembered without a reminder this month!

Maybe it's because even though I didn't order on the 15th...

was waiting for Stamp-A-Faire...

I was up.

It was another equally...

and in some ways even more...

(GASP! BLASPHEMY!!)

important night...

the premiere of the final Harry Potter film.

Unfortunately...

love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married grabbed my ticket for the midnight show and I was left behind with half the kids.

So...

I was awake for release...

and since I wasn't ordering...

went to check out the inspirational photo they had challenged us with this month.

Here's a looksey...


and I'm so horrible at photo challenges...

I never know what to go with.

Colors?

Elements?

What?

So I threw caution to the wind and came up with this...


I focused on the colors...

but decided to cut a "window"...

and then I drew from the pillow on the window seat and added a couple of butterflies.

See the book the card is on...

I cut the butterflies from maps found inside.

I found this one at a yardsale...

$1...

really loved the texture on the cover and never realized about the maps inside for a couple of months until I just started thumbing through it one day.

It's almost 100 years old...

printed in 1926...

an anniversary edition of their encyclopedias...

and they all have maps like this...


no staples...

they fold out.

After I cut my butterflies and really loved how they looked on the map paper...

I started thinking I might run out of maps so I went to ebay to see about grabbing a couple more books...

they sale for $25-40 dollars apiece there.

The collector in me then thought...

"Mmmm...maybe I shouldn't have cut into my book?"

Too late.

I think I'll stick with thrift shops and yard sales though.

But this map is so old...

where I used to live in Maryland isn't even on it.

I found surrounding areas...

Bel Air...

Havre De Grace...

Abingdon...

Aberdeen...

but no Aberdeen Proving Ground...

much less Edgewood Arsenal.

They weren't established until after WWII.

Kind'a surreal...

like "I know it's there...where is it?"...

but also kind'a cool at the same time...

to be able to point to the map and know that's where it is...

but to see it before it existed.


So I didn't forget blog hop this month...

all because love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married took my ticket for the final HP...

the ending of an incredible journey that introduced the joy of reading to so many...

sparked millions of imaginations...

showed us the power of love...

and the value of forgiveness...



But he won't be grabbing my ticket for this one...

Let the games begin!


The Details
All Supplies PTI Unless Noted
Cardstock: Stamper's Select, Orange Zest,
Ocean Tides
Stamps: YOF: Collection, Think Big Favorites #4
Die: Edgers #1, Sending You
Ink: Momento, Copics
Misc: bling, map, butterfly punch (SU)

31 comments :

Kara said...

love the buttrflies in the window!!

Lisa said...

Sorry about your book,think of the "it was only $1 part" and maybe you'll feel a bit better about it! Very cute card :)

Sue Lelli said...

The butterflies cut from the maps are so FAB and I LOVE the window!

Magirk said...

Glad you remembered the hop - I love your card! Those butterflies made of map pages are adorable, and now I'm wishing I had me a map book, too. LOL. I love your use of the colors, and the window is fabulous. So lovely. ;-)

Anna (doctorfoodie) said...

What a beauty! I love the butterflies, and I love the window! Thanks for sharing the story about the map book too - I won't tell my man-I-married how you cut into it, he's huge into antique maps ;) The map paper on your card is such a lovely detail.

Jill said...

It's perfect Renee! Seriously, your card is gorgeous, very much reminds me of the inspiration photo, and has unique touches that make it really stand out! Your map paper butterflies are amazing, of course--I'm so jealous of your $1 find! (I work Saturdays, so I never get to yard sales, but I'm still determined to get to Goodwill for some denim, and I really hope I can score some vintage bookprint one of these days too!) Really, really great card!!! (And I can relate--I Can. Not. Wait. for the Hunger Games movie either!) :-D

Marge said...

Your card and butterflies are PERFECTION!!! Fun story too & I'd also be a bit sick I cut that book up!

Kay said...

This is just beautiful- the maps really made some stunning butterflies!

Karin (Peppermintpatty) said...

FABULOUS!!! Love those map butterflies + such a beautiful design!!!

Debra said...

LOVE the butterflies cut from the map! The window is perfect, but hubster taking your HP ticket....not so much!!

Terri said...

Great job! Love the butterflies!

Mad for Paper said...

Love this, especially your butterflies. Great idea!
TFS
Ang

Sharron said...

OMG, Renee--I LOVE this card! Your window is wonderful and the antique map butterflies are perfection! Since you have already cut into your book, just think of all the fab cards you can make! By the way, have you got to see the HP film yet?

Sara Mac said...

Great card Renee! I love the toppers on the card. Love the idea of using an old map book for embellishments. You are so clever.

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Great take on the challenge using the colors. LOVE the butterflies cut from the old map. Isn't it fun to find treasures like the old maps for next to nothing?! That is why I love to work at the thrift store.

Laura Isham said...

Fantastic card, Renee! Love how the butterflies were cut from old maps! OMGosh, if my hubby found out that I cut up a book he could've sold on ebay for $40, he would never let me forget it! LOL Some things are more important than ebay, though!

Kelly S. said...

Beautiful design, Renee! The butterflies are so cool, and totally worth making that cut in the book (in my book that is, hee!)

Marlena M. said...

I love those mappy butterflies! ;)

Kristin said...

the card is a STUNNER!! you outdid yourself here ... just amazing!

and, I was at the 5pm show on Friday. best of the series in my opinion. not even sure what to think now that it is all really over...

The Paper Parade said...

What an excellent idea to buy an old map and cut the butterflies out! And I LOVE the window...I need to try that now! Oh and P.S. I am totally excited about seeing The Hunger Games, too! I didn't know they already had a poster for it...now I'm even MORE excited :)

Cathy Weber said...

Your card is such a good representation of the inspiration photo. I can totally see it. I love those butterflies and the great story behind the book they were cut from. Really great job on this one.

Suzanne said...

ACK! A map! Aren't you super clever and SUPER CUTE! I think this is one of my most favorites of yours ever, Renee! I love it!

Lee Anne said...

That card is amazing. I think I love the edgers now and must get them. Shame on you.

Katie {choc0holic} said...

Lovely card...but I honestly love reading your posts even more! What a great find (the book)! I would have a hard time cutting into it as well. We have some vintage books that my husband's uncle has given to us over the past years. I know they're treasures, so they stay out of my stamp room. I picked up something that I wouldn't hesitate cutting into for my papercrafting purposes. ;)

Tracey McNeely said...

Such a lovely card.

Purrfect Paper Creations said...

Love your card, it is just beautiful! And make sure you see HP7 part 2, it was an awesome movie!

Chris L.

~Laurie said...

Great take on the challenge! I feel your pain! I hardly know what to do with inspiration photo challenges either! Your did a super job!!

Jen said...

Now this is totally cool. The map flutterbies are a damn fine idea. A real must borrow. The aperture is so effective. Fantastic!

Lori said...

Beautiful! Love the look of the butterflies in the window opening.

Ulina /Apricot Bubbles said...

Renee, you seem to have the best ideas ever! These butterflies out of maps are so stunningly beautiful!

Jen Carter said...

This card is fantastic!! I love the window you created but those butterflies are the bomb!! LOVE them much!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...