Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Stamp-A-Faire Challenge #10



I did not get to attend the incredible Stamp-A-Faire hosted by PTI this past weekend...

and though they were so creative and thoughtful at coming up with ways to include everyone with online challenges...

I didn't get to participate on Saturday.

I had the time...

just absolutely no mojo.

I think my mind was extremely distracted...

doors...windows...flooring...

my mind can only handle so much at any given moment and apparently I was on overload already...

but since Challenge #10 failed to load...

they've given us until tonight for that challenge...

and you can read about that challenge here...

I did get a little ditty done for it.

Actually it worked out perfectly...

had already started working on a card in my mind for a very special birthday coming up this week and the challenge actually incorporated where my mind was starting to go anyway so here we go...


Now...

I really need your help and advice on this one...

but first that little "smudge" you see in the right hand corner...

I swear I didn't do that...

I used Vintage Cream and it's actually woven into the paper...

just to let you know I actually didn't make a boo-boo...

which I normally do...

but this card is for our preacher who retired at the end of last year...

he will be 86 years young on Thursday...

seriously...

if you were to judge him on his energy and spirit alone...

you would never guess...

but unfortunately time is catching up and his body is showing signs of his age.

We had a special service a couple of weeks ago and he came back to speak...

he wasn't able to climb the steps to the pulpit so instead had to sit on a stool at the front...

it was heartbreaking.

His wife and him have been married for over 65 years...

a feat unheard of in this day and age...

and to see them together...

to hear them speak of one another...

they still act like newlyweds.

They are the most kindhearted, generous souls you could ever meet...

and we all just adore and miss them.

But is this card appropriate for him?

I know...

it has flowers...

which doesn't scream "manly" and even though he probably would love and get a kick out of a card that said "You Rock"...

I just didn't feel that was quite appropriate for him either.

I tried to use the Newsprint background to "soften" the feminine feel...

I've loved Nichole, Dawn and others using bookpages...

stamping and coloring onto them...

and really wished I had an old hymn book to use for such occasions...

I think I'll go hunting Sunday and see if I can round one up...

but I also didn't think using a page from an old bible would be quite "right".

What do you think about that?

Would that be bad?

So honest opinions on this one before I pop it into the mail tomorrow...

is this appropriate for an older gentleman or should I rethink?

And what about using an old bible page...

am I a bad person for thinking of it...

would it be a really bad thing?

What about using an old hymn book?

Seriously...

tell me your thoughts.



The Details
All Supplies PTI Unless Noted:
Cardstock: Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate, 
Rustic Cream
Stamps: YOF: Morning Glories, Inside & Out: Birthday,
Backgound Basics: Newsprint
Ink: SU, Copics
Misc: bling

17 comments :

  1. I really like this card Renee and I think it is very suitable for the recipient. With regard to using the pages from the bible or hymm books - I wouldn't have a problem with it but maybe some people would be offended so I think I would be wary of actually tearing out pages. What about photcopying some pages which you could then colour or distress as needed. Just a thought.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee I think this card is so beautiful. I love those morning glories stamped over the newsprint. It will make a great card for your preacher. I'm sure he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I personally think this card is great. I love the image stamped and coloured over your text background and it's that design feature that makes me feel that this would be a lovely card for your preacher!
    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and giving me the link to here - love your creations!
    Hugs,
    Aimes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is such a beautiful card and I love the morning glories over the newsprint! I hope you win. I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card & coloring! What about scanning & printing a page from a bible or hymnal? Age it with ink to make it look older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing card! so striking with the red and black. You are right, the newsprint is the perfect background. Look for that old hymnal though! That's a great idea for anyone who loves the Lord. Who knows, maybe you will get to do another birthday card for your preacher friend!

    p.s. did I miss something, why am I the only entry for what I thought is the most recent challenge? Are there really 360 days left for submissions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card. You found a way to use flowers in a beautiful and masculine way. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous!!! Love the way you stamped the flower over the newsprint stamp! Gorgeous! Pretty in red!!
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors Renee,I like it that the flower just pop out of the page :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card! And if your pastor is anything like most I've met, he'll love it too. He'll appreciate the beauty of nature in your graciously hand made card.

    I think an old hymn book would be alright, but not a bible. Just thinkin' the bible would be a bit "sacrilege" as the French say.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today! Be sure to sign up for the blog candy. It's a Ribbon Carousel. Mine is filled with Papertrey ibbon. It's super functional and really pretty. And tell your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renee........This is just downright gorgeous!!! I just love it! Beautiful coloring and the most perfect background for the card. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renee, your card is wonderful as is! The newsprint and fabulously colored flowers should be perfect for your preacher. I'm sure he will be so touched to receive it. For future cards an old hymnal was be great but perhaps not a Bible. I don't think tearing out pages would be appropriate but photocopying might work. Best of luck with the competition. Keeping my fingers crossed--hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really do love your card and you are right when you say it isn´t screaming MANLY..... But I am sure that for the person you made it for, it is just perfect.

    I smiled when you asked about the pages from an old bible. It is something I have thought about more than once, but never dared to do...... I wouldn´t mind myself, but I do worry that there are people who would and I don´t want to make them feel bad. It is a shame though..... pages from an old bible would look SUPER on a card don´t you think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is gorgeous, Renee, and anyone is sure to appreciate its beauty, a man or a woman. I don't see any smudges; it looks beautifully rustic or vintage to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely stunning, and I think perfect for an older gent. I think it's almost easier to do flowers for older men - they don't have as much macho stuff going on (think veterans and poppies), and I think he'll be in awe and so thankful. Regarding the torn out pages from Bibles/hymns - it's just me, but makes my skin goosebump, I don't know how he would react, so probably best not to.
    Again, gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is breathtaking Renee!!! Your coloring is beyond fantastic! I would love to receive a beauty like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...