Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm Here

I've been MIA for a bit.
This room remodel...
we're really getting into it right now and can I just say...
I'm more stressed over it than I was when we built an entire house.
I've been on Mtn Dew overload...
which I guess is my answer to stress...
caffeine!
I'm so living on borrowed time!

So I haven't had time to get crafty...
but I'm making some time tomorrow!
Until then...
this is my friend Susan...


This is her blog...
http://www.susangregggilmore.com/

She's an author.

I met her the night her first book was released...
Looking For Salvation At the Diary Queen.
I loved Salvation...
loved it.
I considered myself lucky because driving back from Nashville that night it started snowing...
and by the time I arrived home...
there was already a dusting covering the roads and it was just really starting to get going...
which in the South means...
SNOW DAY!
So I had Salvation finished before I went to sleep.

She came to our book club the following meeting...
and we've been friends ever since.

She is a true and rare gem...
one of the sweetest people you will ever hope to meet.
This tiny little woman (seriously...she's like the size of an ant!) is such a ball of energy and life...
you will adore her from the first moment of meeting.

But she struck my heart with Salvation.
I connected with the main character...
Catherine Grace...
on so many levels.
And you may recognize the name of the town that it's based in...
Ringgold, GA...
it was one of those torn up in the tornadoes in the early Spring that also destroyed Tuscaloosa, AL.
That was a bad day in the South.
I remember that our local weathermen had warned of very "violent weather" for us...
seriously scared me because I have never heard the term "violent weather" used for us before...
and I grew up here!
It's a good thing that it skipped us because my idea of preparation...
was stocking up on batteries and Mtn Dew.
Apparently "violent weather" preparation is not my forte.
And I'm pretty sure my 2 cases of Dew would not have helped us in the event of that kind of weather.

Looking For Salvation... is not a drama...
nor a mystery...
but one of those good 'ole "Southern flavor" stories that just has a way of touching your heart and staying with you...
like Fannie Flagg or Billie Letts.

This is her second novel...

Another "Southern Flavor".
And I know that some don't consider Southern literature as "worthy" reading...
but I love it.
We have quirky characters...
and no one does "quirky" like Southerners.
Except the Irish.
And oh...
I love Irish novels too...
Mauve Binchey, Patrick Taylor (An Irish Country Doctor).

But Susan moved to Chattanooga a while back...
I don't get to see her as often as I used to when she was in Nashville...
but she was in my town a couple of weeks ago for another book club and we meet up beforehand.
We would have had coffee but it was 100+ outside...
so instead something nice and cold.

I had planned on having the night by myself...
but one little guy would not let me leave without him...

his first coffee house...
and so much for my night out.
But Susan finally got to meet the guy that makes me laugh every day...


and unfortunately...
I never know what is going to come out of his mouth.
Example...
when Susan sat down...
he turned to her and the first words he said to her were...

"Mrs. Susan...
did your kids make you go gray too?"


At least he's paying attention when I tell him that each of my gray hairs has a kids name on it...
mainly his.


So...
do you like to read?
Looking for something light?
Not dark or depressing?
A little humor?
Go and pick up Looking for Salvation at the Diary Queen.
I recommend...
and then tell me what you think!













1 comment :

  1. Aww... you just never know what's going to pop out of their mouths! :) I read a book this weekend for the first time in months! We got away to my parent's high desert home and I couldn't put down this travel book a friend put in my hands - The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific. Hilarious stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...