Thursday, August 25, 2011

Like Strawberry Wine...

            and seventeen...
           The hot July moon saw everything.
                    Deena Carter
                  "Strawberry Wine"




This song has been running through my head ever since I looked at the inspiration photo for this month's Blog Hop...
and quite frankly I'm impressed with myself for knowing any of the lyrics to it...
because it's country...
and I'm an 80's hair-metal-band-kind-of-girl from way back!
Seriously...I became one right around the time the 80's began...
I was 9...10...11...
coming off the Bay City Rollers...


please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers them!
I was so in love with them...
still remember most of their songs...
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night!
Sing it with me now...
ok...
maybe not.
But somewhere at my Mom's house...
I still have all their records!
Literally...
vinyl!
That's how they did it in the 70's...
*giggle*

So as the 80's begin I'm growing up and leaving the BCR's...
discovering Def Leppard...

Motley Crue.


Still remember the first time I ever saw them!
It was a Sunday night program that we watched every week during "junk food" night after church.
I grew up on a farm...
in the country...
there was no cable...
no MTV...
and we only had 1 tv...
so we watched programs together as a family and this was one of them...
right before the Wonderful World of Disney would come on.
Life was never the same after this particular show...
the night Crue was on...
not for me...
nor my parents.
My mom was on the couch...frozen...
I'm thinking in fear because she didn't move the entire time...
that may have also been a good time for her to take up free style diving because I don't believe she took a single breath either.
My daddy's jaw sat on his chest during their entire segment...
and when he could finally speak all he could say was...
"We've went back to the stone age".
My brother and sister...
well...
they were kind'a like mom and daddy...
they didn't know what to think...
but me?
Me...
I saw the future...
jumped up, clapped and gave a rousing Southern holler of...
"Whoa! Mama!".
Yeah...
I think I might have been defined as just a bit rebellious.
*giggle*
But for the record...
I have never been arrested or convicted of any crimes...
ok...
beyond sometimes having a policeman discover my car going a little faster than the posted speed limit.
And other than my musical tastes...
and my kids...
I'm as boring as white bread.


So anyway...
I'm so proud that I know some lyrics to a country song...
and I have been singing it for days.
All because of this picture...

And yes...
I know it's jam in the suitcase...
not wine...
but I don't know a song about strawberry jam...
so wine it is!
I love that suitcase...
love that homemade jam...
love those books!
And did you notice her gingham dress...
with lace?
Look close...
because I did...
and is why I did this...

I know...
really simple...
because even though my musical taste does not run to country...
everything else about me does.

Those little seed pearls...
I wasn't actually drinking wine while making this...
I wanted to make them look like the seeds that you find in strawberry jam...
do they work?
Do you feel like you're taking a leisurely drive in the country...
a sunny Sunday afternoon...
temps in the mid 70's...
windows down...
the smell of fresh baled hay in the air?
Maybe you're stopping at a local farmers and picking up fresh corn...
tomatoes...
maybe even a fresh blackberry cobbler...
some homemade apple butter...
or strawberry jam?
That's where I wanted to take you with this card...
on a trip to the country.
I hope I got you there.

And lastly...
an update on our room...

Yup...
you've already seen these because other than a little cleanup...
no progress outside...

Ditto for inside...
except that really heavy water slide has been temporarily relocated to the back porch.
The sheetrock guy has still not shown...
so we're stalled.
If he happens to show today...
and really moves...
I shall be painting all weekend...
and I do mean all weekend...
morning...noon...and night all weekend...
so that flooring can start getting laid Monday.
For such a simple job...
it's turned into such a pain.
But when it's done...
we'll have a safer entrance for Hunter...
this staircase...

will have a chair lift when it's all trimmed out...
no more accidents.
It's been almost 3 months since I fell with her...
but I still break into tears every time I think of how bad I could have hurt her.
So I'm just really anxious to get this completed.
Fingers...
toes, legs, eyes and hairs crossed that next weekend we're moving into it!




The Details:
All Supplies PTI Unless Noted
Cardstock: Kraft, Rustic White
Stamps: Friendship Jar, FJ: Summer Fillers
Die: Friendship Jar 
Ink: SU, Copic, PTI Tea Stain
Patterned Paper: Cosmo Cricket Material Girl and Early Bird digi
Misc: seed pearls, seam binding, lace, PTI button and linen thread

38 comments :

  1. I love love the strawberry jam in the jar and the strawberries. I want to lick the jam! The red color really pops against the blue background. Awesome, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! Your story about the 80's is so funny too. I love how you colored that jam jar. Such great shading and those little seeds, brilliant. We were thinking alike with the gingham too. Great job on the blog hop Renee, and in the middle of back to school and house remodel too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Renee! You and I were inspired by the same thing in the photo :) Your card is AMAZING!
    And I so remember (as still love) Def Leppard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the depth of color on your jar of jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a lovely card and I can almost taste the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your take on the inspiration photo-- it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the idea of strawberry wine! It would make a great beverage for a warm summer afternoon picnic. Your jam with the seed pearls is just perfect, and just 'pops' against the pink gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your interpretation of the dress and the jam - love the way you executed it! Seriously, that background is fabulous, and I could tear into that jam right now. Love the lace and bow, too. I remember the 80's - I was a punk rocker with a shaved head and mohawk hairdo. I had some favorite metal bands, too. Thanks for the fun walk down memory lane! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is so fun! I loved your story and how it stemmed from the picture. I am embarrassed to say that I was listening to New Kids on the Block instead of Motley Crue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how you colored the jar and added the little beads...so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Renee!!! So much yummy goodness going on here. The jam and berries look marvelous along with all of the pretty details you've added!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a STUNNING jar of jam- so realistic, and your "seeds" couldn't get any sweeter (no pun intended)
    Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interpretation on the photo & I too did see the gingham dress with lace (tho I didn't end up using any lace, I love that dress!). BEAUTIFUL card & I hope your remodel starts to move QUICKLY!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That's stunning. Simple or not. (My card is also simple.) I love the red jar. You did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been a busy lady. Great choice of papers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous. Love the strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card. Love the Strawberry Jam and your use of the gingham. I didn't even notice that until you said something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Renee how I can relate to the 80's. I remember being in K-Mart..wow haven't seen one of those in a long time..with my brother. We showed Mom and Dad the latest "record" we wanted...Twisted Sister. Oh yeah..didn't go over so well. It could be the picture on the front..but really the music wasn't that bad..come on Mom and Dad. (we did get it by the way) Anyways..back to crafting..love you card and the seeds are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Renee, I so love reading your posts. And I love the card. Except now I think I need a jam and butter sandwich. Thick jam. Thick butter. Not so thick bread. Thanks... between you and the steroids I'll weigh 10 more pounds by the end of the day. :) Thanks for your prayers -- and good luck getting that room finished. I know it will be good to have the project complete!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute post. Love your card and the pearls for seeds great idea. Maybe I could be more creative with a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your coloring on the jam jar is amazing. I love how you incorporated the "seeds" too! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on the card. Love the gingham and the jar. I did not see that at all, but I am a total city girl, stuck at the beach for this phase of my life. I totally remember the Bay City Rollers. Now, they are stuck in my head. Ack!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, I know what song I'll have stuck in my head the rest of the day!! :) Your card is so pretty!! I LOVE the shaading you did on the jar contents!! Super fantastic girly!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you're blog post had me grinning from ear to ear and singing! and I think your card is prob my favorite. LOVE the seed pearls to mimic the strawberry "seeds". and the red seam binding behind the lace is just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful coloring on your card, Renee! What a talent you have for coloring. I am jealous! I can't believe you speed in your car - you seem so innocent! And P.S. I totally would have come to help you paint!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! This is simply awesome! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, you made me smile again! I love your posts.....I will have that song in my head now going to bed!! LOL I totally love how you did the "seeds" here.....so darn creative you are!!!

    I love seeing the progress on your house project. I know you can't wait to have it finished so your family can be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job, I can almost taste that jam!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is gorgeous! I love your colouring, and the way you paper pieced lid looks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Killer card! I just love the richness of the colors. Yum. Love the pearl strawberry fruits (Who knew that what looked likes seeds have always been the actual fruits...weird huh?). Crazy cool!

    ReplyDelete
  31. There are so many elements I love about your card. Beside the awesome coloring of the jam, my eyes were drawn tot he lace & beautiful ribbon.
    Hopefully everything will be completed shortly. Don't you hate it when youhave to depend upon others. In the end it will all work out & your frustrations will be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hahaha, your story about your family around the TV cracks me up! And WOW on the "seeds" in the jar...they look totally realistic! I can't believe you call your card really simple... it has TONS of awesome details in it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. FABULOUS! LOVE your take on the challenge picture! So colorful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful coloring and with the gingham background, you take me back to my childhood in Tennessee! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great job! Love the little beads.

    ReplyDelete
  36. YOU.my.dear, are.a.hoot! Totally with you on the whole 80's thing...and I even sang SATURDAY night! Beautiful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Renee,

    Did I ever mention how much I love your posts. You could post the ABC and still make it funny. I always skip straight to your posts when I see them. You are a HOOT!I love your card. It's sweet and pretty just like that picture with the dress and the suitcase. You knocked it out of the ballpark with this one, Missey! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...