Saturday, October 8, 2011

Catching Up With Dinky


See this guy?

I love him.
I love him so much sometimes I feel like I can't breathe because there's so much love inside that my lungs literally can't work the way they're supposed to...
that there's just not enough space.
I feel like this every time I look at any one of my kids...
that there's just not enough space inside to hold it all.
And yet...
they are my breath.
The very reason I do breathe.

Dinky almost killed me yesterday.

Literally.

My heart stopped.

I was that scared.

No...
no falls, cuts, bruises or blood...
none of that was involved.
In fact...
he was asleep when he almost killed me.
He never knew he almost woke up to his mama lying on the floor...
dead.

Why?
Because he has been told not to play with scissors...
a rule that he totally ignores if he happens upon a pair of safety scissors...
because he uses those at school...
and in his world...
there's no difference.

He's been told not to ever play with scissors...
even safety's...
not because I want him to grow up not knowing how to use them...
but because he uses them so well.
Nothing is safe if he has scissors.
Nothing.
Important papers...
homework...
and don't even get me started on my paper and ribbon...
nothing!
Sometimes my floor will look like a New York City street after a ticker tape parade when he's had scissors...
he's not smart enough to destroy the evidence yet.

But apparently he may be gaining intelligence.

Yesterday...
while grabbing a load of clothes to toss in the wash...
I turned around and saw something moving...
very rapidly...
coming straight at me.
I screamed...
very loudly.
I was pretty sure I was going to die...
that the thing rushing at me...

was a rabid mouse.

My heart stopped.

Literally.

I couldn't breathe.

And then...
it was gone...
no longer rushing me.

I looked down to discover that the rabid mouse that caused my heart to stop and I almost died was in fact actually...

a piece of ribbon.

A piece of sheer ribbon.
My Christmas ribbon.
The ribbon that Dinky has been told numerous times to leave alone because it is my Christmas ribbon (I always buy at the end of season for the following year so apparently it's been tempting the guy for months).
He had cut it...
into little pieces...
and hidden it in a laundry basket.
Where when I grabbed clothes out to toss in the wash...
a tiny sliver of thread that had become unraveled was grabbed and I trailed this ribbon through the house to the laundry room where upon tossing into the wash it apparently propelled the ribbon into light speed and when I turned I saw a rabid mouse rushing at me and I was preparing to meet my maker.

In my defense...
it was early.
I had not fully consumed enough coffee to actually have been operating a washing machine...
much less was I prepared to deal with rabid mice.

I love this guy...
And because of that...
I think I'll keep him.

But I need new Christmas ribbon.


8 comments :

  1. Cute story. Boys will be boys, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! so happy you lived to tell the tale :) you had me on the edge of my seat...you're a gifted writer! now go get more ribbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a character he is! Carly cut her own bangs down to the nub, right smack in the middle with no way to hide it except slick it back with piles of gel. I guess with a boy you could just have buzzed it down, but your beautiful ribbon? What was he thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Renee........Such a cutie, he is! Love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl you make me laugh! I just love your stories. Just be thankful it was your ribbon (even though it was your prized Christmas ribbon) and not anyones hair. When my darling daughter was around 4 she found a pair of sissors..while I was asleep on the couch. Guess who received a hair cut..yep it was me. A nice chunck right off the top. But I still love her too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a character your little guy is! Love when you share your stories--they always make me smile! Sorry about your ribbon but could have been worse. As others have mentioned, hair is a popular choice for many of the creative little ones. One of our granddaughters cut a HUGE chunk off the front about a year ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally loved reading more about your Dinky. He sounds like a little Mischief maker himself! LOL (sorry had to add that in there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was bouncing around the blogs today and found your site.....I just read your story about Dinky and the scissors episode....LOVE IT...you are an excellent writer and story teller...it has made my morning....and now I can't wait to see what's in your blog....I will be stalking you...errrrrr.....following you...:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...