Saturday, October 1, 2011

Waltzingmouse Sketch #67

It's Saturday!
And this week is extra special because...
3/4 of my kiddies are out of school for 2 weeks on fall break...
he-llo jammie days...
I've missed you...
*giggle*
Now...Hunter will still have school so I'll still be in my car most days...
but we do give her long weekends so it's not too bad because I'll be able to grab a couple of jammie days in there.
No trips but since we're still finishing up the remodel...
and we were well over budget...
and I've got a lot still going on anyway so no biggie this year...
which I will have pics soon...
promise!

Now...
because it is Saturday...
Happy Cardmaking Day...
you know what that means...
another challenge at Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog...
YEA!!
And this week we have another fabby one from the uber talented Claire...
Now this one is so fabby because there's so much room for interpretation...
ornament...
tag...
card front...
the sky's the limit with this one guys!
And when I first saw it I started working on a Christmas tag because...
well...
it's a coming!
But then this week I had a very happy mail day...
very happy...
I got new goodies!
And in that box was the new Hocus Pocus set...
so I threw everything out the window...
not really...
it's still on my table...
but saying "it's still on my table" just didn't sound as fun as "out the window"...
*giggle*...
and broke out this gorgeous set.
Seriously...
it's gorgeous!
Have you seen it?
You have to go see it for yourself...
go...
but wait until I'm done.
*giggle*
OK...
here's what I did with it...


I love that witch image!
And the inspiration for this "cracked mirror" is...
well...
how many of you have heard of The Bell Witch?
It's actually a very popular local legend...
popular enough that Hollywood did a movie a few years ago about it...
"An American Haunting...

it wasn't a very good movie so I understand if you haven't seen it...
but have you heard of her?
It's even part of the legend that it's the only American murder to have been committed by a spirit...
and one General Andrew Jackson...
who would later become President...
even has a part in this one.
You can Goggle her if you've never heard of her...
and are interested...
but I grew up surrounded by this one...
and many others that are related back to her because I grew up not too far from Adams, TN...
which is where the story actually took place...
I've even visited the original home...
but also because Montgomery Bell State Park is local for me...
part of my childhood...
swimming in the lake...
hiking...
picnics...
cruising the park for cute guys during my teens...
just hanging out.
And yes...
there are connections to the Bell Family...
and the legends abound around here because of it.
And I'm so excited that Halloween is coming because now I can share some of those old legends...
and Hocus Pocus is going to help provide a perfect backdrop for them...
so I started with the witch image in a "cracked mirror" because I wanted to introduce you to her...
and because growing up...
at slumber parties and sleep overs...
you could guarantee that one particular dare would always be given...

standing in front of a mirror at exactly midnight...

in complete darkness...

no lights allowed...

and repeating the words...

"I hate The Bell Witch"...

3 times.

Legend has it...

that a faint spot of milky light will begin to appear in the center of the mirror...

and as you're watching that eerie light...

mesmerized...

as it grows and spreads...

soon encompassing the entire mirror...
 
her hand will reach out to the person speaking...

and rake their face with her talon nails leaving deep gashes across their cheek.

And to this day...
I have never met anyone who has ever actually accomplished saying it all 3 times...
most run...
screaming...
after the 2nd "I hate The Bell Witch" is whispered while fumbling for the door handle.
Though one person swore as that 2nd "I hate The Bell Witch" was whispered...
and they tried to open the door to run...
the door...
which was unlocked...
(never lock the door in this situation...prevents an easy escape)
would not open.
And until they pounded and screamed and someone opened the door from the outside...
they were barred from leaving the room.
But I'm an adult now...
all grown up...
and I'm sure it's because I grew up so close to this legend...
but I still can't bring myself to try it.
Just gives me the wheebies thinking about it!

So tell me...
do you have any local legends?
Share!
I want to hear about them...
so write them in the comments below...
or shoot me an e-mail...
I love hearing about other places and legends that you may have grown up with...
or is part of your local history...
whether you believe them or not...
share them!
I have more to share too...
you'll have to wait though!
Because now it's time for you to head over to Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge...
and check out all the gorgeous inspiration my fellow Mischief Makers and DT members have created for you to oogle and inspire...
and join us!
We can't wait to see what you create...
and remember...
someone will win a free set of their choice just for participating!
So come on...
what are you waiting for?


The Details:
Cardstock: PTI Rustic Cream, Kraft, True Black
Stamps: Waltzingmouse Hocus Pocus
Dies: Spellbinders Deckled Ovals, PTI Tag Sale #4
Ink: Momento
Paper: Graphic 45
Misc: resin flowers, embossing powders, lace, pearls, seam binding, button





11 comments :

  1. Wonderful tag Renee with the checkerboard bg and the spooky black ribbon - great spooky story too! although I NEVER watch horror movies (or even slightly spooky movies) as I get TOO scared!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have a way with words Renee, such a great story to go along with your great tag. Love the cracked glass effect with the witch cameo. This is going to be one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Renee, my husband has self-proclaimed legends in the town we grew up in: Professor Sub-Zero, Doctor Anti-Freeze, Rubberneck... I love your post! You're the best and I totally agree about jammie-days. Is it so bad that's it's only 5pm on a Saturday and I want to put mine on already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tag - and truly magnificent black bow!! Your story is fab too - reminds me a bit of Candy Man - another of those urban legends! Or is it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun tag, Renee! I love the little frame around the witch and that big, loopy bow is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your story and hate to be scared, so that would never happen in my house! But now the card is just too spooky for words, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your background and witch cameo is just fabulous together! You really know how to put together a spooky card! I love that cracked BG.....really is perfect for that image!

    PJ days? I'm hoping to have one on Monday until I have to go out at least for kids dentist appts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee.......As always, I love reading your stories! I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to creepy Halloween, so honestly, I don't even make many cards for that holiday......lol Your tag however is adorable. I'm glad you got a box of goodies and had fun with it today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh LOVE that cracked glass witch cameo you made, Renee! So wickedly elegant with the beautiful papers and RIBBON! This isn't a scary folklore, but my niece, nephew (they are MY age :), neighbors, and I used to play Ghost in the Graveyard when we were little. Only the ghost hides, and then everyone goes and finds him if they dare. Don't let him catch you or you are out...only the last one standing gets to be the ghost in the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tag and story. I really love the cracked glass effect. No scary stories or pajama days around here. Although my town does have a surfing statue, nicknamed the 'Cardiff Kook' who gets dressed up by pranksters on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cracked glass with the witch image and perfect with the checkered bg!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...