Monday, December 19, 2011

A Quickie Christmas Gift

Hi, all!
I'm just popping in with something I've been working on the last 2 days...
I know...
I said it was a quickie Christmas gift right?
And it is!
For some reason though...
I always seem to do things the hard way.
I blame it all on the kids...
*giggle*

I've talked about my obsession with Pinterest before...
and I am addicted!
I have lost hours...
weeks...
possibly even months to my obsession.
And my mom thought my obsession with 80's hair bands was bad...
too bad she never foresaw Pinterest in my future...
she could be rich!
And that could have possibly made me a future rich heiress...
*giggle*

So I'm obsessed.
I pin all kinds of recipes...
quotes...
colors...
fun projects for the kids...
gift ideas...
and crafty things!
And a while back I pinned a tutorial on how to transfer a photo onto canvas...
Light bulb moment!
I actually have one that goes off occasionally...
it's very sporadic though so it scares me when it does...
but my light bulb went off and I thought "Christmas!"

Is there a Nana who doesn't love getting pictures of the kiddies?
Not ours!
So I had love-of-my-life stop at Michael's to pick up some 8x10 canvases for me...
he phoned me from the parking lot accusing me of trying to kill him by sending him into the lions den...
and he brought me home a 10 pack.
I only requested 4.

But lucky for me he did.
I tried the tutorial I had pinned...
canvas #1 ruined.
I thought it was because the pictures were to dark and detailed...
so I lightened...
reprinted...
and went back to work.
This time...
thinking I had fixed the problem...
#'s 2-5 were ruined all at once.
To be quite honest...
the directions were not exactly clear on what type of paper to use...
I really assumed it was regular printing paper...
so I took out #6 by using photo paper.
This is when I went back to Pinterest...
found another tutorial that did have excellent instructions using the same technique...
but I wasn't taking a chance and found this one instead...

http://sarahsprojects.blogspot.com/2010/02/wall-art-for-siennas-room.html


It uses tissue paper!
You can print on it...
did you know that?
All the instructions are in the link above...
but this one worked!!
And this is what I finally got accomplished in just a few minutes...


This is my baby girl Hunter.
She's blind with CP and getting a good shot of her...
well...
you could shoot 1000 frames and walk away with one usable one.
She's the reason I got a DSR DSLR (oops!).
And this shot makes it worth every penny.

I have seen some little imperfections...
and even though I think those are what makes it "unique"...
I'm going to pick up some more canvases tomorrow and try her picture again.
But for now I'm off to get the other 3 done!

Edited to add: I got the other 3 done and they turned out perfect!  Quick and easy!  I realized what happened to the one above when doing theirs...my tissue paper had some wrinkles in it!  So when I printed the others...I made sure to find a very smooth piece of tissue and they printed perfectly!  I reprinted hers and  talked love-of-my-life into going back into the lions den for more this afternoon...
*giggle*

16 comments :

  1. Renee, this is a gorgeous photo and such a thoughtful and sweet gift. It looks perfect to me! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture of Hunter. Really stunning. I'm sure your nana will just love these pictures. I hope you don't drive yourself too crazy these last few days before Christmas. Jammy days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. What a beautiful thoughtful gift. Such a gorgeous photo of Hunter!! I think you did an awesome job with this! It would be hard to give this away!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee - What a great project! I don't know how you're going to part with this one!!! Hunter is BEAUTIFUL! I love that you got her in profile - so hard to take a shot this way! Good thing your sweetie got you 10 canvases - you're GOING TO HAVE TO DO ANOTHER ONE! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Thanks so much for sharing this amazing tutorial. I must give it a try. Love how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture and a very awesome gift! This is such an outstanding project. I never would have guessed that you could use tissue paper! Now that you have the technique mastered, you can do portraits of all the kids--what a fun winter project! Enjoy your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW Renee! What a beautiful photo of your sweet daughter! Such a wonderful keepsake to treasure for years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are seriously too smart! This is just a wonderful and thoughtful gift for grandma. Hunter looks so pretty in this shot, so glad you got one that captures her sweetness. I can't wait to hear how everyone raves about them, I know they will! What a good guy Patrick is. Warren has never gone to Michaels for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee, what a sweet picture of Hunter, her spirit really shines through. What a great gift form grandma too, one that will be treasured forever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is sensational and definitely worth all of your hard work as the result is stunning. Really will have to try it out. Your Hunter is just a beauty

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. RENEE!!! Girl these turned out FABULOUS!! I agree there isnt a Nana who wouldnt love photos.. my mom and grandma are getting photos so they better! LOL! :) and YEAH for your sweetie getting you the canvases then going BACK for more!!! What a GUY!!
    I hope you and your family have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! and Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hunter is beautiful ! I had to laugh , your husband must be very smart to get you a ten pack to start with . Laughed again that he went out for more. What a beautiful project! I just might have time to try this. Wish I would have looked when you first posted. Thanks so much for sharing! This makes a great gift! Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Renee I love this and love "how" you are a mom. Thank you for being such a great mom to all your little ones! Merry Christmas! So sorry I've not visited in so long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful picture you got! That must be one of the twins :) I'd love to try this one day... looks great! Hope you had a happy holidays - and thank you SO much for the special hello!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that photo of Hunter is amazing, Renee! You must show us all of them now! How did you ever print on tissue paper? My printer would eat that stuff up in one second!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! This is absolutely so terrific!! LOVE how it turned out! If the others you made turned out even better, I can't imagine how spectacular they look too! Wonderful gift and very worth the trip to the craft store by your hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...