Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Snow Dance

Every year since the girls started school...
every Winter has seen my children doing what is called The Snow Dance.
I've heard of it being done in other parts of the country...
but in the South...
it's a big deal.
It's done every time the mere mention of snow is whispered...
and last night was no exception.

We were in the 60's with rain earlier this week...
but the weatherman brought the word revered by children far and wide into the forecast...
and last night saw my boys getting down and funky doing The Snow Dance!
Yes...
I actually said the word...
"funky".

Now I don't know how you may do it in your neck of the woods...
but here...
there's a very precise method to the dance...
of which I am about to explain to you.

First...
you have to flush a bowl of ice cubes down the toilet...
both of my boys had to do this.
I don't know why one bowl wasn't enough...
maybe it was an insurance policy.
Then you have to put your underwear on your head...
and run around the table 10 times.
My boys stripped...
again...
insurance policy?
I stopped them before they got to underwear currently in use...
and made them get clean pairs.

They ran around the table...
laughing and chasing each other in almost nothing more than what God sent them into the world with...
with underwear on their head...
chanting "Snow, snow, snow" at the top of their lungs.

It was one of those perfect moments when all is right in the world.

Now you're wondering...
did it work?

I'm watching great big ole' fat, fluffy flakes fall as I type.

Say that fast 3 times...
I dare you!
*giggle*

We've seen some flurries so far this Winter...
but nothing more...
so to actually see the ground starting to turn white...
even though we know it's only going to be a dusting to 1/2 inch...
the kids are already making plans to break out the sled.
They're very optimistic that the weatherman is wrong and we're actually going to get a blizzard.
And as the true Southerner I am...
after the dance...
I went out last night and bought milk, bread and eggs...
but I didn't buy enough for a blizzard.
Though I am hoping for a 4 day weekend for the kids.
And just go ahead and laugh now...
but yes...
a dusting can see us having a snow day!
We're in the South!

So in celebration of our first snow...
and the hopes my boys have of actually being able to build a snowman...
I whipped up a quickie card...

When PTI released their Snowman Shape Up die a few months ago...
I absolutely loved the plaid snowman done by Nichole Heady found in this post...
so I made a plaid snowman.
I used Waltingmouse Offbeat Backgrounds for the plaid...
I love that set!
And then I also used a new (to me) Memory Box snow die for the background...
it's so cool the way it looks like falling snow!
Everything else is PTI.

Whether your idea of gorgeous weather is sunshine and 70's...
or freezing and snow...
hope you are enjoying gorgeous weather wherever you may be!
And if we get that snow day tomorrow...
since love-of-my-life-man-that-I-married will also be home...
I may just have to whip up a traditional snow day food...
homemade doughnuts!


The Details:
Stamps: Waltzingmouse Offbeat Backgrounds, PTI Shapeup Snowman Accessories, In the Meadow
Cardstock: PTI Rustic White, Scarlet Jewel
Dies: PTI Shapeup Snowman, Memory Box Snow
Ink: AMuse, Momento









12 comments :

  1. Love the plaid snowman, so cute! And the snow dance had me rolling on the floor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I have honestly never heard of the snow dance - what a HOOT!!! My kids always wore their pj's inside out when they went to bed and were always disappointed when they had school the next day. Too bad they never tried this! Your kids are like "SUCCESS!!!!" Thanks for the smiles! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dance sounds like a lot of fun! Miss my kiddos being young ~ enjoy them while you can ;) Super cute card! I have a soft spot for snowmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of the snow dance either, but then I guess we wouldn't here in CA! I hope you got lots of pics for your project life scrapbook. Your card is adorable, such a great plaid background and even better than you stamped it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you must be kidding about the snow dance. If not, you need to film it on you tube. Love the plaid snowman. He is so cute. And, he will never melt. Glad all is well in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, thanks for the good laugh! This snow dance thing is just too adorable and I have never ever heard of it. Lol when you made them put on a fresh pair of underwear . That would have been just what I would have done. Hope you get the snow! Your snowman card is just perfect for this and it's adorable . I just tonight was able to order the in the meadow dies. Had the stamps already. Thanks for sharing your priceless moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it :)!! And you're right- in the South it only takes a bit of snow for them to believe Armageddon has happened ;).

    Your snowman is perfect! I love In the Meadow and the die is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I've never heard of a snow dance but your explanation was hilarious. I especially love the part about making sure a clean pair of underwear were used!

    Cute card, cute sentiment. Hope your boys get to build their own snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could send a truckload of snow to your kids-- we just got a dusting too! I've never heard of a snow dance either but your description is hilarious, especially the order for clean underwear! Love your card too! That background is so cool. I want to order some Memory Box dies but there are just SO many options that I can't decide! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha....I know you mentioned the Snow Dance to me the other day but to hear you say it again.....is hilarious! I can NOT believe you all got a snow day today but great to get a 4 day weekend!

    So wish I could have come and met up with you tomorrow!!! Oh well, just means we'll visit more on the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that has to be one of the best stories I have heard in a while...but where are the pictures??? I'm sure you must have taken at least a few of them. Love your little snowman too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh!

    I love your snowman! He is adorable in plaid!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...