Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Little Bit of This...A Little Bit of That

If you're looking for my Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge or MSS Guest Designer posts...just scroll down!

It's been a long since I wrote a post without a card or project...
and I know some visit just for that...
but I miss "talking".
Catching you up a bit on life and it's happenings.
Claire will call it "waffle"...
and that must be an Irish term because to be quite honest...
the first time I read it I really thought she was sharing a waffle recipe...
or talking about that morning's waffles...
I didn't know!
But I've decided I just like that term for what I'm about to do...
and so today...
I'm going to do a bit of waffling.
*giggle*

Now...if you've been around here for any amount of time...
you know I love to read.
I've often said if I ever had to choose between reading and stamping...
well...
I would miss it greatly...
but stamping would have to go.
I love and enjoy stamping...
making cards...
gifts...
but I need words.
And I mean that quite literally.
The only way I know how to describe it is as a hunger.
The constant...ever present...need inside me that demands words daily.
And the thought of passing one day without them...
ohh...it fills me with a literal fear that causes me to catch my breath...
sets my heart racing...
I break into a sweat.
Tell me I have to go without food for the day...
I'm fine with it.
Sure...I know I may feel hungry...
in fact...just by telling me I can't eat all day is probably a pretty good way of me not being able to stop thinking of food...
and wanting to eat...
but I can do it.
I do.
All the time.
And usually it's when I'm totally and completely engrossed in a book.
I can...
and do...
forego food...
drink...
sleep...
everything...
when a book captures me.
It becomes my sole focus.
And luckily...
when I am that enraptured...
I have a husband who understands.
Who feeds the kids...
keeps them occupied...
watches them to make sure no blood is spilled...
and lets me disappear into those words...
until the last one is read.
And then...
when I begin to emerge to this world again...
he picks me up off the floor...
or helps me out of bed...
dries my tears...
and brings me back to him...
and those 4 reasons that I breathe.
And this is a man who didn't read when I met him...
well...
no more than was absolutely necessary...
but who married me anyway knowing that sometimes...
I'm going to leave him.
I'm going to be here physically...
he can see me...
he can touch me...
he can hear me...
but I'm not here.
I'm somewhere else...
and since I read depending on my mood...
and there's almost no genre that is off limits...
I may be dealing with a deranged psychopath...


a family dealing with heartache...

fighting the paranormal...


or walking through a world I never want to leave...


I so love that man that I married.

But books...
they are my first passion.
My first love.
I have always read...
began reading at an early age...
in fact here's a little tidbit that most people don't know about me...
I'm quite literally half deaf...
in both ears.
Allergies.
Which also caused me to have extreme speech problems when I was younger...
but it wasn't until the beginning of 2nd grade when they placed me in a remedial reading class that anything was done about that because on the first day of this class...
when tested...
the teacher had to call my parents and request a meeting and he told them then...
I was 6 years old and reading on a high school level...
but...
and these were his exact words...
"you can't understand a damn word she says".
So I entered speech classes instead.
But even now...
after all these years...
there are still sounds...
or even just certain words...
that I try to avoid when speaking.
Now don't think my parents were negligent in any way...
they weren't.
I think it was just that they were used to way I spoke and could understand me quite well...
I mean...
my daddy always said I was born talking...
so they had listened to me for 6 years and didn't understand why no one else could understand me.

But I did love to read.
I think it was because when I was reading...
the words were sounded in my head and sounded perfectly normal...
just like everyone else.
It wasn't until I was in 7th grade...
and I'll never forget this...
I picked up SE Hinton's The Outsiders at a book fair...
and reading went from just being something I enjoyed...
to being my passion.
It changed the way I looked at books...
and I can't tell you...or explain to you...why that particular book ignited that within me...
but it did.
And I will always remember the book that began my first love.

So bring us to present day...
and you now know why I get excited when I am planning to stop by here...

This is McKay's.
And if you're ever in TN...
there's one in Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville...
and I quite literally refer to it as "my crackhouse"...
and this is why...


this is only one small section of one row.
Now imagine hundreds of these.
Every genre...
fiction...
non-fiction...
new releases...
out of circulations...
hardcover...
softcover...
all stocked in one spot...
and you now know why I refer to it as "my crackhouse"...
it's because I can fed my addiction here.

This is another new addition to my addiction...


At the end of 2010...
we lost my favorite indie book store in Nashville...
Davis-Kidd.
I would get high just walking through the doors when I would go to hear an author speak...
meet a friend for lunch in Bronte's Cafe...
or just pick up the latest release.
I cried when they closed.
And luckily for us...
Ann Patchett (Bel Canto, The Patron Saint of Liars) lives in Nashville and decided to try and soothe our loss of Davis-Kidd by opening Parnassus late last year...
God bless her!
A little pop quiz for you...
where does the name Parnassus originate?
Ideas?
Guess?
I'll tell you!
In Greek Mythology Mount Parnassus was where one learned literature, learning and music...
and since Nashville is home to the only replica of The Parthenon...
the Athens of the South if you will...
I don't think a more fitting name could have been found.
It's small...


but beautiful.
Look at how the sections are each marked...
written by hand in chalk.
And yes...
that's a library ladder...
ohhh....I want one so bad!
But I hope that as time goes on...
that eventually it will grow and she'll have to find another...
larger...
location...
and maybe yet again...
and that someday it will bring back to Nashville what Davis-Kidd once did.

Now...
are you still here?
Did I lose you?
I'm sorry...
this got to be a little more wordy than I originally thought it would...
but then I should have known that since this was about books...
and that my 2nd favorite favorite thing to reading them is talking about them...
I would go over my allotted time!
Sorry!

OK...
do you read?
And yes...
I know you can read...
otherwise you wouldn't be here...
but do you enjoy it as a hobby...
a pastime...
are books one of your passions?
And what are you reading right now?
I'm always on the hunt for my next journey so please share!
Until next time...












12 comments :

  1. Renee, I so admire that you love to read books. I know I joke about not "doing books" but it's a combination of two things for me: forced summer reading when I was a kid ruined books for me. I also read a LOT for my job, so my eyes get tired...there are some nights when my eyes cross trying to adhere pearls and bling to cards...and that's with my glasses on! What am I reading lately? I've been reviewing a paper that was submitted to a journal and I also have 2 grant applications to read as well. Maybe tonight I will finish. BUT I haven't crafted at all this weekend and I am itching to do that too. So we shall see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading as well, but you are way more passionate about it than I am. My son is just like you when it comes to reading. He read Les Miserables 2 or 3 times who does that! Loved reading your non card post. I do like Jodi Picoult, and have read a some of her books . I am reading a book on Padre Pios and before that it was Killing Lincoln . I guess you would say very random. Sounds like you married a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Renee--what a fun post. I feel like we just sat down and had a great chat, where I didn't even have to do any of the chatting. I am just like you with books. I read up a storm, and it is one of my very favorite things to do. I am always in the middle of at least 2 books--one on my ipod and one regular book. I just finished the most wonderful book 2 days ago--the latest Anne Tyler called "The Beginner's Goodbye". Immediately, I downloaded "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith--I love him and read all his series the moment they are released. In Italy, I read "Pride and Prejudice", "How it All Began", and "An Available Man", all of which I would highly recommend, "Death Comes to Pemberley" which was so-so, and "The Mill River Recluse" which was not very good. On my Ipod, I am listening to "Come Home" by Lisa Scottoline, which is not as good as some of her others, but still interesting. My last two ipod books were fabulous thrillers by Taylor Stevens--The Informationist and The Innocent--and I would highly recommend them. The beauty of my ipod books is that I can listen and make cards at the same time--can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very inspiring! You should read Parnassus On Wheels by Christopher Morley! It was written around 1917 and it's a cute read. And it's in the public domain so it's FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...toss up between reading and card making? I have to admit that card making has already won that one. I do love to read and I loved reading your post. I grew up in Franklin and feel very much like a displaced Tennessean. My husband and I moved to Arkansas 33 years ago! I choke up at the sound of country music, sugar maples in the fall and the stacked stone "slave fences" that still remain around some of the farms in Williamson County. I long for the cool dark green of the grass and the rolling hills... I really miss the hills. And I miss the Parthenon. (I actually knew about Parnassus!) Ok enough already. I enjoyed your post and who knows, maybe you have re-inspired me to balance my card making obsession with a little more reading! I'm waiting for the next Ken Follett book, #2 of his historical novel, Century Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee, you are just the best story teller ever! This is what I look forward to most about your posts, the stories. I love to read too, but not serious stuff, too stressful for me. It was interesting reading your post about your hearing and being half deaf, I am half blind. I only have vision in my right eye and when I was in school the teachers could not figure out why I could not read and I too had to go to remedial reading class in 2nd grade and that was where they figures out it was an eye issue, everything just blurred together and looked like two items overlapping. Like you did not blame my folks, they had no clue. I knew we were connected in more ways than paper crafts! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee . . . I loved your passionate post! I could have written parts of it verbatim, because reading is my #1 passion too! (A friend got me a license plate holder that says, "I Read, Therefore I Am") :-) When I was in preschool, I dearly wanted to read, and my mom kept telling me that I would learn to read when I went to "real" school. I vividly remember coming home from the first day of kindergarten and throwing a tantrum because I didn't know how to read yet! After all, I *had* been to school! My teacher called my mom and actually yelled at her for not teaching me to read earlier, LOL! I, too, have a memory of when reading became . . . transcendent for me: the summer I was 8 my mom bought me a copy of Gone With the Wind. It took me a month to read it, but when I was done, nothing was ever the same! I usually have 3 books going at once: a "regular" book (paper), a Kindle book (on my Kindle as well as the app on my phone which I use all the time--God forbid I be waiting in line at the post office and not have something to read, LOL!), and an audio book in my car for my commute. Sometimes I download one to my iPod too, and listen while I'm crafting, but I usually prefer music then. I could go on and on (hearing problems too--started speech therapy in kindergarten) but I'll stop so we can both get back to what we're reading! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post Renee and I so enjoyed reading it. I too love to read and cannot got to sleep unless I passed at least half an hour with my current book. If I'm really engrossed half an hour can slip into a couple of hours and I'm fit for nothing the next day. I belong to a reading group and we meet monthly for food, wine and a chat about our chosen book. One of my favourite nights of the month! We just finished Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, a book I first read as a teenager, and I still enjoyed it once I got into the 1930's language. Thank goodness we don't have to choose between crafting and reading!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have switched over to a Kindle. I love all of the free books.
    Mark Twain. Honestly, I,m sick to death of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn so I never gave him credit as an author...until recently. He is an absolute genious!
    The best books I have ever read are the Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. My strongest recommendation.
    Ken Follet-Pillars of the Earth-AWESOME (this is where a Kindle comes in handy).
    Anything by Herman Hesse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee, I loved reading your post. I think your a writer first. I share your passion. You are extraordinary in your ability to recognize the blessings that surround you, and in the words you choose to express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading your post! I love to read, but card making gets in the way. The last very good book I read was "The Help". The movie is very good, too! Anyways, I really enjoyed looking at your cards and reading your post about reading. Take care and happy reading to you!!:-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...