Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Yes...I Actually Did This!

OK...
first...
long post...
quite a few pics...
I'll apologize in advance...
if you've been around here in the past couple of months you know I've been painting what seems like every room in the house...
one because of a Spring storm that did a lot of damage to our roof and we were blissfully unaware of until water started pouring out of our daughter's ceiling...
but also because I didn't get any painting done last year due to falling with Hunter and busting both knees...
so I was just behind.
But one of my projects was to give the small bath a needed makeover...
not complete...
even though...
ssshhhh...don't tell love-of-my-life...
after the Holidays...
we're going to put new tile down in this particular bath I'm about to discuss...
have you seen this...


looks like hardwood...
but it's tile!! :)
I'm going to surprise him with this bit of information...
he loves when I surprise him ;)...
and since we're hoping to start laying some new flooring in other parts of the house when he has a couple of weeks off in the Fall...
I'll save this for later...
so seriously...
don't tell! :)


Now back to my project...
this is the only room in the entire house that has paper on the walls...
(This is our small bath...located between the kitchen and family room...
so it's the one that sees the most traffic because who wants to walk across the house to use the others?)
and of course little fingers found a weak spot and started tearing so this project was actually a necessity this Summer...
but I liked what I had on the walls so what to do?
I started searching Pinterest for ideas...
checking wallpaper sites...
and nothing struck me until one day I was actually over on Indulgy (I Indulge very rarely but am so glad I did on this day) and saw the coolest wallpaper!
Now in typical Renee fashion...
I forgot to pin...
but I loved it and knew I would have no problem remembering...
only now I wish I had pinned it so you could see too!
Hindsight!
But I think it was actually a pic of a club or restaurant's restroom...
only it was papered in bookprint!!
And you know me...
LOVE!!
So then I started my search on Google for bookprint wallpaper...
I found none!!
No where!
I don't know where this club/restaurant got ahold of it but I wanted some really bad...
so the search continued for days until I ran across a blog post...
and here's where typical Renee comes back into play...
yes...
I forgot to pin...
again (hanging head in shame)!!
But solution found...
I knew what I was going to do!
Now I'm just going to show you some pics because I'm so excited and can't wait...




Yes...
I actually glued pages of a book on my walls!!!

Actually...
it was two books...
identical so that you are able to read the book...
in order...
to completion!!
And no.
I didn't use any of my copies.
I went by my booklover's crack house ( McKay's) and picked up two copies...
paid a whopping $.50 each, came home and started trimming the pages out.
Some came out very easily...
some...
the glue was quite generous in it's hold!
But I stripped off the old paper and started right to work...
and when I got to end of the long wall and halfway around the small...
I realized either my walls were very crooked...
or my eyes were...
it was horrible!!
I won't go into all the details but needless to say...
that had to come off and back to McKay's I went...
this time two copies cost me $1.25 each.
And since I already knew how hard it was to get these pages up on the wall...
well...
not really hard...
just time consuming...
I went in typical Renee fashion and procrastinated this time...
started painting the dining room...
painted the long hall off the kitchen in chalkboard paint (it's SO cool!  And if you have a little one who loves to draw...what little one doesn't?...I highly recommend you designate a chalkboard wall in your house!)...
then the girl's room was repaired so started and finished it...
and then decided it was time to tackle the small bath...
again!
Mainly because I was hosting bookclub last night and Suzanne is going to arrive on Friday...
it had to get done!!

But before I give the lowdown on how I did this...
can you guess what book I went with?
I considered many options...
Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind...
SE Hinton's The Outsiders (which is the book for me...the one that when I was younger took reading from something I enjoyed...to something I love...need.)...
Audrey Niffengger"s The Time Traveler's Wife...
to name a few.
And it couldn't be just any old book...
it had to be a book that meant something to me.
So can you guess?
A hint maybe?



Yup!
Fellowship!
The book that made me realize that I am a complete and total nerd.
A fact I was blissfully unaware of until that summer 10 years ago that I was severely preggers with #1 son and it was 120 outside (ok...maybe it just felt that way!) and I had my cooling "station" (air conditioning turned down to around 60 and an industrial size fan that could blow cooling winds at about 200 mph...possibly another exaggeration...but it was close!) in front of the tv and then love-of-my-life wanted to watch Lord of the Rings...which I argued with saying that I didn't want to but yet when he told me to leave, the thought of leaving my comfortable nest was too hard to bare...so I stayed.
And I tried closing my eyes...
I really didn't want to watch it.
But then I peeked...
and what?!!

Hot men!

In a nerd movie!

Long story short...
I watched it.

3 times.

And as soon as Two Towers was released in theaters...
I lined up my sister to watch all 3 kiddies and then afterwards...
I immediately purchased all 3 books...
read them 3 times each before Return of the King was released a year later.
Yup!
Nerd status recognized.
But it wasn't my fault.
I could have stayed blissfully unaware of this fact for the rest of my life...
but they cast Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn who now resides on my future husband list...
complete with costume.

And...
since one morning not long ago caught all of us standing around the computer to catch the first glimpse of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit...
I would say we're all nerds in this house so what else could go on those walls?

I know I'm testing you here...
I'm sorry...
but real quick here's how I did it...

I rolled wallpaper paste onto the walls and then placed poster paper on top of it...
trying to smooth as many wrinkles as possible...
and boy did it wrinkle!
But I actually decided I liked the wrinkles...
so quite a few stayed.
Then after covering the walls with poster paper...
I used the glue again to paste each page onto the wall...
see?
Time consuming.
After they were all done and dry...
I used Modge Podge to cover the pages and waterproof them...
especially around the sink and shower areas.
I did leave some weak spots with the Modge Podge...
so if I ever need to tear it down...
I should be able to.
Plus those wrinkles may come back into play then too and actually be useful!

Alright...
did you make it to the end?
What do you think?
Give me your thoughts!
The glue gave the pages the waterstained look...
and it bothered me at first...
but I've decided I like the "aged" look too...
what do you think?
And just so you know...
I still have some art projects to finish for the walls...
but I'll save that for another day!

Hope you have a wonderful day...
I'm done now!


32 comments :

  1. Thats amazing! You did a fabulous job! It looks like something out of a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely FABULOUS, Renee!! Totally worth the length of time it took you to complete! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee!! Your bathroom is beautiful! The book print looks fantastic! Nice job and I really enjoyed reading your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome Renee!! you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWZER ~ that is CRAZY!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, Renee! You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an undertaking but it came out so fabulous. My grandma had a bathroom in her house that had a wallpaper of old advertisements. I loved that wallpaper and could sit forever reading all the little pieces. I'd probably use Harry Potter to paper my bathroom so I'm right there with you in nerd status. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic! LOVE the pages on the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Renee.
    Very creative to use the book pages as wallpaper.
    A cheaper altrnative too!
    Great thing about this is one always has reading material available. Hehe.
    Love the rest of the bathroom too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! It looks like your hard work payed off!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book print looks fabulous on the walls and with the rest of the bathroom decor. You must patience in abundance to end up with the pages so straight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing and gorgeous! Such a perfect wallpaper for you! Can you come decorate my house??

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE! What an outstanding idea Renee. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!!!! It looks fabulous!!! I absolutely love it!!! thanks for sharing!! You have inspired me girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post, and super fun bathroom. You need to bottle up your creativity, and sell it by the ounce! Never in a million years would I have thought of this, nor done all that hard work. Love it--hope to see it in person one day, but not in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Renee, your post is like a good book ~ you had me hooked till the end. Excellent results though and looks like it was definitely worth the time and effort it took to complete it ~ amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous part Renee and what an amazing idea. Who would have thunk. I really like the tile you are looking at for the bathroom too. You are truly an adventurer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, Renee, you are amazing! You actually got the whole book on the wall--and so perfectly even! Your bathroom looks awesome! The gray and white looks fantastic with the paper. All your hard work was certainly worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing! I need to not mention this to my mother, or else she'll be wallpapering with Reader's Digests!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Cow Renee - I was working up a sweat just reading your blog - sounds like a home owners nightmare but we have to keep things looking perdy dont we? I think your bookprint idea is amazing. It looks fantastic and would appeal to just about everybody - not too girly, not too masculine - brilliant really!!! Great choice of books - love how aged the pages look - your photos would look right at home on pinterest for inspiration to others! Well done and CONGRATS - YOU DID IT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. my. gosh. You can read the book, too - awesome. You're definitely a soul sister... I want to start to reading Caitlyn the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Renee, what an awesome idea! It really turned out looking so neat! And that tile floor that looks like wood...I'm totally going to have to check that out for my future bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ok...you are hired and when can you arrive to do my bathroom? I thought I was doing good to stamp a Mickey Mouse head border around the top portion of the walls, wow!!! I am just amazed at your talent, just amazed and in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wowser! Congratulations to you for an outstanding project that turned out beautifully. You have much more patience than I do.
    BTW, I know you and Suzanne will have a fabulous time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...I have never seen anything like this before and it is gorgeous! You are so creative and you must have worked so hard on this...how you lined it up so perfectly! This is just beautiful Renee, a work of art and I would make your kids rue the day if they ever tear this apart!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh Renee….. Love this idea! I think it is the most perfect thing for you to have on your wall. You did an amazing job! It looks perfect…… and looks like it took a long time. Beautiful! After this week is over I hope you take a big break. Have fun with Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what a fun post. That's what I call paper crafting. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohh...love it and how clever!! I love Lord of the Rings! Guess I'm geeky too! The tile that looks like wood is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am late commenting but - WOW, THIS IS FABULOUS!!!! I love the way you've got the whole book on the walls. Totally awesome work - hats off to you lady!!

    I love the movies, but not read the books (hangs head in shame) but I just couldn't get into them!! Can't wait to see The Hobbit though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Get out, Renee! That is crazy creative and fabulous, and it looks amazing to boot! Love the color of paint you chose, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, what a unique idea. this came out amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did the powder room in our former home with music sheets from the books my husband, his sister and his brother had used for their piano lessons when they were kids. There were even penciled notes from the teacher and drawings the three kids had done in the margins. I overlapped the pages here and there so that the worn and torn edges didn't leave holes in my "wallpaper". (One thing I found that helped in handling the pages was to wet them before putting the wallpaper paste on them.) I framed some of the book covers and hung them on the walls. I found a brass music stand at a yard sale and used that to throw my hand towels over. Sadly, it all went with the house when it was sold... if I ever do it again, I won't use personal memorabilia!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...