Sunday, November 18, 2012

I'm Still Busy...

making ornaments and getting the house decorated for the holidays!
And if you happen to be looking for my Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge/Blog Party post...
just scroll down or click here!
I kind'a made a little boo-boo when linking! :(

So I'm still at making some crafty things for the holidays...
my crafty space is a obstacle course at the moment with landmines at every step...
candy canes...
twine...
papers...
glass...
name it and I bet I have it in here somewhere!
But I'm winding down for this year...
any project not gotten to will have to wait for next year...
but at least I'll have some necessities already on hand...
and sometimes they can be a little hard to find if I stick to my pledge of getting them done during the lazy days of summer when it's 110 in the shade and there's no way I'm leaving the comfort of my air conditioning!

So these are my latest...
warning...
there's a few pics here so hang on...
but what started out as these...


have become these...






Harlequin country ornaments!
And I can tell you I made quite a few mistakes doing these!
I took the raw wood shapes that I picked up at my local Michael's...
and decided I could just stamp right onto the wood using my most used and much loved harlequin background stamp from Waltzingmouse Heirloom Patterns...
and I know I don't have to tell you...
but seriously...
I use it a LOT...
and I'm sure I can stamp directly onto the wood but...
not with dye ink.
It started running!
So my next brilliant idea was to paint the ornaments with an acrylic paint and then stamp again...
boy did that create a mess!
The paint merged with the ink...
not pretty!
So I decided that I would stamp the pattern onto some lightweight cardstock I keep on hand for printing digi papers...
and then cut the shapes out with a craft knife.
Not the easiest way...
it would have been better to use acrylic paint to just stamp my pattern onto the shape...
but when in need of caffeine...
I don't always make the best decisions.
So I took the long...
hard way...
but with my handy dandy little craft knife...
got them done!
And I kind'a like the paper on top now that I am finished...
I sanded some of the edges to give more of a distressed look...
and a final topcoat of Mod Podge...
they're all sealed up!
And of course...
it's not country unless there's some jute twine and jingles right?

Super simple...
if you don't factor in my missed shortcuts!
*giggle*
But my big tree is done...
I'll get around to snapping a pic of it soon since some have asked...
and next tree year I think I'm going to work on my small tree that is in the front entrance...
it needs a new look!

Hope you have a wonderful week...
and if you're traveling for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday...
safe travels...
and wonderfully Happy Thanksgiving!

18 comments :

  1. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!! Can you hear me scream that. What a great idea. Bummer you had to hand cut them all but now it's done and they will be around for a long time,well worth all that work. Can't wait to see the whole tree. Now I wish I had this stamp. I bet your tree is just beautiful with all your handmade ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out great! Can't wait to see thw whole tree. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, even though they took lots of work, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the harlequin look Renee and what a fun way to dress up your tree! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your clan this holiday (if I don't talk to you....hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your harlequin Christmas ornaments Renee! Fantastic! My daughter had on the Christmas Carols while she was doing her chores today, the lights are up on the house (not on till the 1st).but it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeks...in LOVE....harlequin is totally one of my favs and black, kraft, and red jingle bells...can you send these to my house??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh-My-Gosh!! These are amazing! Can't wait to see the whole tree. Sorry you had to hand cut them but they are going to be such treasures! Wishing you & the family are wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fantastic, Renee! They turned out so beautifully, and look amazing on your tree! You have really inspired me with all your DIY decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so elegant and cute all at the same time Renee! They totally remind me of you and I can only imagine you using your craft knife to trim them...that must have taken FOR-EV-ER! The result was worth it, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELLLOOOOO Renee!!! Hope all is well with you and your dear family!! I ADORE the ornaments.. Love how SIMPLE they were for you! wink wink (ha ha I typed wink wine first! Oh my!!) anyway that sounds like the way I create... a few do overs til I get them just prefect!! I cant wait to see your tree..I bet it is BEAUTIFUL!!.... off now to think of the ornament I need to make this year.. I am not good and get done early.. I am naughty and wait.. hee hee!
    have a GREAT Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant idea and I just love how they came out!! I can't wait to see a pic of that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...you are just amazing! I love them all and I'll bet your Christmas tree is so stunning. I have to believe you just must never sleep...not a wink ever and I want your secret! Just so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renee these ornaments are adorable! And your post totally cracked me up because that is exactly how I make things and my craft room is always a total disaster when I am done. I just finished making over 25 place cards for Thanksgiving and will be needing to dig myself out...scraps of paper and dies and stuff everywhere!!!! But so fun too!
    I look forward to seeing a picture of the tree! Thanks for sharing!
    :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful ornaments! They do look like they were stamped on the wood. I can't believe you cut them out with your craft knife.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally looks like you stamped on the wood...these are SO awesome! Must look so striking all lined up on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Renee, this and your Advent calendar are absolutely amazing! I am in awe of you!!!

    Do you change the ornaments on your tree every year? Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little late but, love the ornaments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by...
I love all your sweet comments...
they mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...