Friday, January 25, 2013

PTI Blog Hop



Good morning!
It's been a long time since I've been able to participate in one of these...

You know how you think you're going to have so much more time when the kids go back to school and you'll be able to accomplish everything on your to do list and still have enough time for naps and fun stuff?
OK...naps are fun stuff but you know what I mean!
Yeah, well...
reality isn't quite like that.
At least not in my world.
So it's been about the beginning of the school year since I've been able to participate in a PTI Blog Hop but since my schedule changed after Christmas break and I am now a stay at home mom versus a stay in the car mom driving 100+ miles a day...
I have now found some of that time I always imagined having before!
YAY!!

And this month we were challenged using black backgrounds...

January-Blog-Hop-Inspiration

Last month the focus was one white, and this month we are going to turn our creativity towards black!  I have been drawn towards using black backgrounds for projects for a few months now and I find that it really allows the color combination to pop from the page.  Here is your chance to try black as a background yourself!  Pair it up with a bold geometric design or a brightly colored bouquet.  Heat embossing looks so elegant when used on a black background.  And don't forget how well white ink will show up as well.  Just pull out some black cardstock and have fun experimenting with a brand new look for a brand new year!



And since I love black...
besides navy...
and red...
"it is my signature color" (quick! name that movie!!)... 
and wanted to be able to join in this month...
I sat down and came up with this simple little ditty...



I love the look of folkart patterns done in all the bright, bold colors...
especially when those colors are on a dark base...
so I pulled out Stitches and Swirls and stamped the largest image in Versamark on True Black cardstock...
then heat embossed in white.
And this is where it got tricky...
even though I've never colored with them before... 
I borrowed my daughter's Prisma's to color in the blooms and leaves.
It was finding colors that blended well together and would still show on the black that was the hard part...
some worked out well...
some...
not so well.
I need to work on that some more.
But got it colored up and then cut off the lower portion of my cardstock...stamped my sentiment from Think Big Favorites #7 onto Raspberry Fizz...rounded the corners and then popped the black panels with some dimensional foam onto the Raspberry Fizz...which was then adhered to a True Black base.
A little bling and I was all done.
Simple.
Just the way I like 'em!

I know there will be oodles of inspiration to see on the hop today...

and with the kids out of school and knowing I will accomplish nothing on my to do list...
I'll have plenty of time to sit and stream some Downton Abbey or The Walking Dead (what a combo right? *giggle*) while enjoying the sights... 
so I'll see you along the way!


Stamps: Stitches and Swirls, Think Big Favorites #7
Cardstock: True Black, Raspberry Fizz






49 comments :

  1. Oh ...Renee....this is lovely ! You did a beautiful(fantastic) job coloring and shading this. I always loved this set, and it's gorgeous on black! Gorgeous card!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I seriously love how this turned out! You know I am a sucker for raspberry fizz which is why this may be one of my favorite Renee cards ever! The pencil coloring is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks awesome. Love the flowers and colors. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delicious, Renee! The colored pencils create such a rich effect, it almost looks like velvet. Loving the way you cut your panel to fit the sentiment, too - that is snazzy! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This set looks so stunning on black and your coloring is GORGEOUS! Love the bright Raspberry Fizz contrast! I really like how you cut the main panel to add your sentiment and a bit of bling--great look!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing. Love your layout and your coloring. Great idea to cut away for your sentiment. I'm going to have to remember that one. So fun to see you at this party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so gorgeous! I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a knock out card! I love the look, and unless you had stated your technique, I would have never known how you were able to get that effect. I also love the folk art look, but I used reverse die cuts to get there. I wonder is it would work in pastel colors. Thanks for sharing this great technique. Now I'll send this link to my crafting buddy who loves this stamp set and her Prismas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee, I pinned this before I started commenting. This turned out beyond fantastic! The pencil crayons create such a beautiful hue on the black background--one of my favourites from you so far. LOVE, or as you would say...I die!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this card! I was trying to do something similar but failed miserably. You, however, made this so beautifully. I love the Raspberry Fizz, too--it makes all the other colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make 'simple' (?) look easy, this coloring is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card Renee, those colours really pop of from the black!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beauty Renee. Love your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card Renee! Love the coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous, Renee! I wouldn't have thought it would work to colour over the black like that-- it's wonderful!
    As for the movie where "it is my signature colour" is in.... I can't think of it. Did Julia Roberts say it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful colouring on your card - looks gr8 against the black.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! The coloring is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful! Makes me want to go buy this set! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful card! I love the bright, bold colors against the black background...lovely!
    Oh, and "My signature color" is from Steel Magnolias :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh MY, Renee! LOVE your stamping and your coloring and shading are superb! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely card. Really like this technique but I can't seem to master it. Your's is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the way you shaded the colors - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Renee I love this card. Splitting the card for the sentiment is a genius idea that I will just HAVE to case sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Renee this is gorgeous! I love the coloring with the pencils with the white embossing! I also love the way you trimmed the black panel and placed the sentiment!
    Wonderful card! So glad you have more time to play! I love seeing all of your wonderful cards!
    :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  25. The colouring is perfect, tricky to do on black. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Renee, I love everything about this. The coloring looks amazing. I really like how you cut out a portion for the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely, lovely. It looks like we were channeling the same creative energy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So pretty! I love the colored blooms on black.

    ReplyDelete
  29. beautiful renee!! love the how you cut the black to allow for the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pink is my signature color-Steel Magnolias! :) This is so pretty! How DID you get those colored pencils to stand out so well...they look painted like stained glass! Love how the sentiment looks set inside on that raspberry fizz cardstock. GORGEOUS! You are turning into a challenge queen and I.love.it! Must get to the chalkboard challenge TOMORROW!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is really pretty - I wouldn't have thought color pencils would look so good on black!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the way these colours work on a black background, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow this is gorgeous! love the embossing and colours- Irma

    ReplyDelete
  34. Eeek... LOVE this Renee! I had no idea that prismas could look so bold on a dark background! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful color blending with the prismas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ack! I'm speechless at this card, Renee! How did you ever create that stained glass look? :) Amazing! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Renee, your card is amazing! Love this stamp set with the "black background" technique ~ so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is stunning!! I've never used Prisma pencils and didn't know they would show up so well on a black background. Maybe I need to look into these!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You have inspired me to play more with my pencils - would never have tried them on black, but will now after seeing your stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Totally stunning card! Great job coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is just gorgeous!!! Love the coloring you did. The colors you chose were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, wow! This is just delightful! I love the way you split the top Abel and stamped the sentiment on the bottom one. I have to try that out. Your coloring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So pinned, Renee! You did a brilliant job shading and coloring with the Prismas on the black. Just brilliant!! And I love the cut out for your sentiment with the mwah touch of bling. Did I mention, brilliant?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Gorgeous card. The colors together are stunning.
    Love all your shading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...