Friday, February 1, 2013

Tornadoes, Snow and...Washi?



What a title...
right?
I'll explain before you think I've finally went off the deep end...
*giggle*
On Wednesday morning we were awoken around 2 am with the phone ringing...
it was a local news station that we subscribe to with their storm alert system...
and they were telling us to take cover immediately because a tornado warning had been issued for our address.
I love this system because we don't get false warnings alerting us to everything within a certain mile radius like we would with weather radios...
instead it's based off our address and only alerts us if our address will be effected...
and this is the 2nd time it's worked perfectly because we gathered the kids and took off to the laundry room which due to my inability to count correctly...
is missing a window (long story) and is the safest room in the house right now.
We had about 20 minutes before the storm hit.
and when those winds came in...
there was no doubt what was going on outside and we didn't even get a direct hit...
just got clipped a little.
But I found this on Pinterest last week...


and wish I had seen it when we were building...
because hubs and I are talking about options for getting a safer place from these storms that while growing up here almost never happened...
and even when we first built our house 8 years ago was still something we didn't really worry about...
I actually have pictures taken from my front porch where they would go over us...
but now...
this is the 2nd one in less than a year that has clipped us.
They've been small ones that have touched down a few miles away...
but they seem to be getting closer and I'm getting more nervous as they do.
The kids were out of school Wednesday because of trees and debris...
downed power lines...
not that they were complaining...
especially after they had to get up in the middle of the night and interrupt their sleep.
So 70's and tornadoes on Wednesday...
and this morning...
less than 48 hours later...
18 and...


snow!
Not much more than a dusting...
but it's the first snow other than some flurries all winter.
Seriously...
you gotta love the South to live here...
and I do.
But as they say...
if you don't like the weather...
just wait...
it's gonna change.
*giggle*

And now onto...
washi!
Did you see Claire's Monday Morning Make Challenge this week?
Homemade washi tape!
Hop over to Claire's blog HERE if you missed it...
she gives a great tutorial on how to do it!
And leave it to me...
I didn't have any tape...other than Duct Tape...because you know...
it's the miracle tape and can be used for basically everything...
so I had to go and get some and couldn't play until I did and honestly...
it was so much fun!!
I used patterns from Waltzingmouse Gingham and Co., Pic-nic Patterns, and Off Beat Backgrounds to create my super easy tape and card...


I laid the tape down on a scrap piece of cardstock and then cut a heart from PTI's Stamper's Select using WPlus9's Heart Stackers dies to cut a heart...
centered my washi tape in the heart...
and popped the heart onto it and then adhered to an A2 card base.
That fabulous sentiment is from Waltzingmouse Sweethearts...
and few red gumdrops...
all done!

I had so much fun doing this...
and am so glad Claire did this challenge because I'm one who hasn't really jumped on the washi tape bandwagon because I know as soon as I do...
the trip will be over!
But knowing I can make my own...
and Claire has tons of stamps that are perfect for just this technique...
I now can join in on some washi fun!

You have until Monday to play along and there's free stamps involved *wink*...
so you don't want to miss it!
Catch all the details HERE!

AND...
February's Blog Party details can be found HERE!
Happens every month on the 17th...
so plenty of time to get crafty and come to the Party!

Till next time!


26 comments :

  1. OMG, your story is so scary but the card is beautiful. That was one extreme to the other.
    Hugs
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fantastic, Renee! Perfect in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow sounds so scary Renee! I am so glad you are all ok. I love the way the alert system works for your persona address. The under the table idea looks like a great idea too.
    Oh my gosh I love your card so much. I will have to get it out of my head as I make my card today. It's going to stick in my mind ….. love it ! So elegant and classy! Try and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great design Renee - with the cut out heart and pretty tapes behind - sweet little bling around the sentiment too! scary stuff those tornadoes - when I heard they were in TN I was thinking of you!(you're the only person I 'know' that lives there!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, your card is really lovely! The tornadoes sound scary! I always thought tornadoes were an American phenomenon, but we had a few small ones here in Australia last week, too. It's crazy weather all over the world at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute card Renee, but wow, how scary that must have been. I can only imagine how scary it was. We don't even get out of bed when we have an earthquake here anymore, but a tornado? Love your home made washi tape. Cute idea to put it inside a die cut window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary story, Renee! Every time I hear tornadoes forecasted near Tennessee, I worry about you. It used to be just spring when we worried about them here but now it seems to be any time! Luckily we do have a basement. The last bad one we had a lot of warning and we took all our family photos, etc. downstairs. Now we just leaving them there! Your alert system sounds great though, especially since tornadoes often seem to come during the night. Love your card and the way you used the negative die cut for your tape. The patterns came out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okie dokie....as soon as I saw the red...I was done for...and then the washi patterns are so perfect....sentiment....and bling love!! Glad to hear everyone's okay. I grew up in the Midwest with tornadoes....it's so weird how they're becoming more common in the south (live in Charlotte now) and the temps are crazy--we were in the low 70's the other day and within 24 hours down to 40's!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy weather!! Glad everything and everyone is safe and sound!! Love your heart card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee - I can't imagine what it must be like taking shelter like that, but glad you're all safe. I think the winter weather here is crazy - record warm temperatures on Monday and snow here today!

    Love the CAS card with your DIY Washi tape. I think it's great being able to make our own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Renee, this is so delightful. I love the heart and your creative way of combining all of these luscious washi tapes.

    It seems we must be in the same weather pattern. We didn't have any tornadoes here, but we did have high temps one day and snow the next. Crazy for sure! I just adore this idea for a storm shelter...although we have a full basement to hide in, but still, to have someplace this safe and look so stylish is so very "Martha Stewart" if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renee, glad your family is safe. While we didn't have any tornadoes here, I know what you mean about a crazy week of weather. That weather pattern moved right across the plateau into east Tennessee. Tuesday-70 degrees, rain, rain, and more rain on Wednesday, and by Friday temps in the 20s and snow flurries.

    What a clever way to showcase your washi tape. LOVE it!
    BTW, I'm 98% sure I got my double sided removable Scotch clear tape at Hobby Lobby.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Renee, I am so happy to hear that you and your family are safe. I can't even imagine how this must feel going through something like this. Your card is just too cute! What a fabulous idea to use that heart die. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pleased to hear you and yours are safe. Phew! Although I have never used washi ( I know, what a philistine I am) but your use is simply gorgeous and very inspiring. Thank you for that. So very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is gorgeous Renee - the storm must have really triggered your mojo! Glad to hear you and your family are safe and sound...I'd recommend you build a cellar which can hold plenty of wine in it. At least you could get a little tipsy whilst you're waiting for it to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow, that is some weather. And one awesome card. I love the red/white contrast and your washi turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. SHUDDER. Tornados TERRIFY me...just the thought of them! If I ever bought it a house in the South it would have to have a storm cellar like the Auntie Em and Uncle Henry's farm. I am so glad that you are all okay!!

    And this CARD! It's so amazing, the washi almost looks like pieces of fabric! The plaid one makes me feel swoony. Just a gorgeous design!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely card, Renee. The Washi tape stripes look very pretty behind the cut heart and I love the colours and patterns you used. And the gumdrops are a very nice addition.

    I'm glad to hear that as far as the weather is concerned, you all are fine.

    Kind regards
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my Renee I am so glad you and your family are okay. How utterly scary, whether you know how to stay safe from storms or not I am sure it is very nerve wracking! Your handmade washi tape in fabulous and I love that heart. Stay safe! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so pretty Renee, lovely patterns in the perfect heart shaped window.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I didn't hear about your tornado scare! I'm so glad you all were safe! That is one thing I don't miss about the Midwest. I'll take 2 feet of snow over a tornado any day!
    Your washi tape is absolutely brilliant, Renee. I love the mix of patterns you chose, and then to frame it all with a clean negative die cut is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Renee, please check our my blog post for today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my Renee - the tornado thing is scary! I grew up in Illinois and we had lots of funnel clouds and some tornadoes when I was growing up. One that hit close and I have never forgotten the experience. I pray you are all kept safe!

    Love your washi tape card! Sounds like you had fun creating the tapes and your card is so gorgeous! I love white and red!
    :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous card, love red & white together and your washi is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this heart you created!! What a great way to use washi, which I just happen to have a small addition to at the moment! :) Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...