Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Different Kind of Phone Case

Good morning!
Hope your week is off to a great start...
I know mine is!
Less than 2 weeks and 3/4 of my kiddo's head back to school...
with the 4th part of that equation heading back a week later!
YAY for me! *giggle*
I love them more than chocolate...
they are my reason for breathing but...
I just can't get anything done when they're here all the time!
And they're ready.
They're just as tired of me as I sometimes am of them...
we need our space.

So anyway...
the reason I'm popping in.
I had to have Erin's stitching phone case dies when they were peeked during the recent PTI release...
I had a plan for them and my order landed over the weekend and after a few attempts finally got my first one completed.
Now when I say "first one completed" I'm referring to using them "my" way...
I've actually already stitched 2 leathers and one suede using them the way they were designed...
super easy and my kids love 'em!
But if you haven't caught my posts about what I've been up to the last few months and why I almost disappeared...
really quick...
I'm taking care of me.
I'm 40 pounds lighter...
ok someday's it's more like 35...
did you know that a woman's weight can fluctuate by 10 pounds in just a day?
SO unfair!
But that's another reason why I try not to focus on what the scale says and instead look at how my body has changed and how clothes fit now compared to a year ago...
muscle weighs more than fat but takes up a fraction of the space so that scale...
it really is just a number.

But last month...
I added running to my routine.
Started out just trying to run for 15 minutes without having a heart attack and dying...
I'm now signed up for my first 5K this fall...
and I'm running 5 miles each morning.
In just over 6 weeks I went from a 15 minute stretch to 5+ miles...
my goal is 6 1/2...
planning on running a 10K next spring.
Now...I'm slower than a herd of turtles...
but I'm also just setting my speed on the treadmill and setting off...
I'm planning on starting to run on the track when the kids get back in school and it starts to cool down a bit...
I know I can increase my speed then so I'm just focusing on endurance for right now.
But when I run...
I need tunes to keep me going.
And I've said this many times over the years but in case you've missed it...
I'm country to the core.

Born and bred.

Except for my music.

I'm a metal girl...
and I've discovered that when running...
the louder...
the harder...
the faster the music...
the more I push myself.
And while you may not know who I am referring to...
I really think I need a tee that says "Body by Five Finger Death Punch" because I'm running at least 2 1/2 miles each morning to Ivan and the boys.
So I need an arm band for my phone and I can tell you they're $30 a pop at Dick's or Academy...
and right now I'm sporting a vicious bruise/"burn"  (like a rug or floor burn?) mark on the underside of my arm because of mine...
it HURTS!
Especially when I'm sweating and it just keeps rubbing the same spot every morning.
So when I saw the phone dies I wondered if I could make a more "comfortable" one with them...
one that won't burn...
or scar...
and that's what I've attempted to do.
Haley helped me pick this fabric and I gotta say I think it's kind'a awesome...

PTI Phone Stitching Dies


PTI Phone Stitching Dies

First...I cut a window in the front panel so I could add some clear vinyl...
helps me see my screen when running and I'll know whether I want to interrupt a run for a phone call or let it go over to message.
Then I cut some straps...
one short with a D ring for looping through...
and one long with velcro for attaching to the arm.
I took it for a test run this morning...
literally...*giggle*
and it worked great!
Except I knew I would have some tweaks...
and the first one is I need to give about an extra 1/4" of clear vinyl in the front panel...
once I put on the arm band the fabric has a little "give" to it...
the vinyl didn't so it started to separate at the side seams.  
And I don't know why I thought my arm was that big...
I just barely was able to keep it on because I made it way too big.
And while I like the fabric backed with felt for cushioning and support...
it's not gonna be great for washing...
and I don't know about you but I sweat when I run/workout...
so I think what I want to do is to make a thin "quilted" layer to give support and cushioning while still being pretty easy to throw in the wash.

So what do you think?
Saving $30 a pop and no scars...
plus the fact that this one is actually really comfortable...
I love that... 
I'll be working on my tweaks and then I plan on having an entire wardrobe of these babies!

I'm gonna be back very soon with more goodies so I'll see you then!
Have a great day!









8 comments :

  1. awesome project!! i can't believe your kids go back in 2 weeks! I'm not even half way through yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Running 5 miles ..you go girl! I am so proud of you and I know I could never do what you did ,but I do think about it!
    Love your fun phone cases,I almost got that die.....fun fabric!!!!!! So nice to see you post Renee. Getting the weight off is a BIG deal!!!!!! congrats and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo you have worked so hard on your weight and I am so super proud of you!! Love your 'metal head' phone case arm band!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the smartest person around? Love your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Love your great fabric and clever version of the phone case. Gosh, congrats on working so hard--can't imagine running--and getting up to five miles! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome all the way around! ... With the weigh loss and armband! Love the fabric choice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on taking care of yourself. You should be so proud of your accomplishments thus far. I am impressed with your new fitness routine; running. That is one activity I can not do. I'll stick to the treadmill. Love how you have set goals for yourself too! Your arm band is darling. Love your crativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee...you are just amazing and so inspiring too! And I love your arm band, you are just so clever and creative. I am now kicking myself for not ordering these dies, I so love what you have done with them. I love that you love metal music, it is at the top of my favorites list too. Do you have any A7X, they are my favorite and amazing live! I have seen them twice, with Ashleigh of course. They are so fun to work out too. Keep up the good work and congrats again on all that you have done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...