Wednesday, August 6, 2014

To the Future

Good afternoon!
Hope your week has been good so far.
Had a hectic morning this morning getting kids to school...
not my norm to say the least...
it involved police and for the record I honestly wasn't the one breaking the law...
but I was still so furious when I got back home that my 5+ mile run went by in a snap so there's a positive to my bad morning and goes a little ways in making everything good again.
Seriously though...
I wasn't in trouble...
I was the one doing the reporting.

So anyway...
while my day got thrown first thing and I'm running behind with what I had planned why not just throw caution to the wind and swing through today by the seat of my pants because there was even more good in store for me...
Betsy's new PTI Make It Market kit landed on my doorstep a day early...
YAY me! *grin*
And while I should probably make sure laundry is done so the kids don't get reported for going to school nakey...
I decided to break it open and play just a tad bit instead. *wink*
Actually I wanted to see if my idea really would work because I bought this kit for a specific purpose...
and even hubby said it would be perfect and didn't bat an eye when I told him what I wanted it for...
but I like being able to show him and have him say "Yeah...you were right...you rock". *giggle*
So that's what I did.

Now before I show you...
and it's nothing life shattering...
I didn't reinvent the wheel here so don't think I'm building up for this huge world altering reveal...
I just want to explain why I wanted this kit for this particular reason.
If you've ever visited here before you may know that I'm the mom of 4 amazing kids that I love more than chocolate and are my very reason for breathing.
You may also know that 2 of them are identical twin girls who lead very different lives...
Haley is a freaky intelligent high school junior who marches to her own tune and is so incredibly comfortable in her own skin and who she is...
she's not like any other 16 year old I know.
She doesn't care about "fitting in"...accept her for who she is or she has no time for you...
seriously this kid is freakin' awesome!
I remember 16 and how desperately I didn't want to stand out in any way...how I wanted to fit in with everyone else...
right clothes...
hair...
and I still don't have the self confidence this kid possesses so yeah...
she's amazing.
And then there's Hunter...
my Goose.
From the very moment she was born I knew why I was put on this earth...
I was born to be her mother.
She was left blind with cerebral palsy after her and Haley were born 13 weeks premature and you can catch up a little about her HERE so I won't go over it all again but when I started my diet/exercise a few months ago yes...it started out for health reasons but I also realized along the way that if I didn't make some major life changes I wasn't going to be able to take care of her when she's out of school.
I was failing her and didn't even realize it.
It may have started with busting both my knees when I fell with her a few summers ago...
but I needed to get back in shape so I can take care of her in the future when she's out of school in about 5 years.
Which as I've lost weight and gotten in much better shape I'm finding it easier to lift and carry her...
but then I realized that I hadn't really made plans for her when she leaves school.
She's VERY social...
loves people.
To not have a plan to fill her days...
again I would be failing her...
she wouldn't have the life she deserves.
So we're making plans towards the future.
While we knew a "regular" job would never be possible for her we just hadn't really figured out what she could do...
other than volunteering at church and Meals on Wheels...
and everyone needs a purpose in life.
A reason to wake up every morning...
something to fill the days...
and I think I've figured some of it out.


We're planting an orchard on part of our property...about 2- 2 1/2 acres.
We're going to raise the trees from seeds...
Hunter can water them.
That will be her job...
to water.



Next year we're hoping to build a greenhouse...
this is the one I've fallen in love with and will be perfect on the back side of the other side of our house.
And since we won't see our first apple crop for about 10 years...


we're going to build berry boxes to raise strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and if I can figure out why they only grow in mountainous regions...
huckleberries.
My friend Cathy sent us some huckleberry jam from Montana and my guys fell in jam heaven...
so while I am not scientific in any shape, form or fashion...
Hunter and I may have some experiments going on in that greenhouse someday. *giggle*


But someday in the not too far future we'll start selling our crops at our local Farmer's Market on the weekends during spring, summer and fall.
It's a job.
Created especially for Hunter.
And with her giggle that's as musical as what I imagine angels sound like...
a smile that can light the darkest night and warm the coldest soul...
she'll own that Farmer's Market because no one will be able to resist her! *grin*
And that's where Betsy's County Fair Make It Market comes in...
as soon as I saw the peek for that cover plate...
I knew I needed it for Hunter's job.
And while I know it's a ways off...
and maybe I could have found someone willing to part with the cover plate when I actually do need it...
I saw the plan and that's all it took.

Again...
I didn't reinvent the wheel here but here's a quick version of that cover plate and my plans for it...
and don't say anything about my handwriting...
I had a bad morning!

PTI County Fair MIM Kit

Produce signs!!!
I'm gonna make small "chalkboard's"  versus cardstock like I used today...
small pieces of wood painted in chalkboard paint...
to write the produce and price on...
easier to change week to week or month to month...
and I'm sure I'll make other small changes but it's the bandanna behind it...
I love it.
Perfect for Farmer's Market.
And the fact that I can make it any color I want...
I had to have it.
I knew this would be perfect for when we start at the market...
and depending on how quick I can get someone to build my boxes and get plants planted...
could even be next summer with a few berries.
We'll see how it all goes but I do know that by the time Hunter graduates school in a few years...
we'll have things in place to give her a life she deserves...
one with love...
with friends and family...
one with purpose.
She's gonna have a job!

Sorry for such a long post...
but now I gotta go look like I've actually been busy today before everyone gets home! *wink*
Till next time!

11 comments :

  1. Renee!! This is so perfect for Hunter's job! I love how you have tied everything together! What a fun way to display the price!! LOVE it!! Very cool! You're such a great mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable, Renee! I want that greenhouse too! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fabulous, Renee! I love your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post--and such a fantastic idea for Hunter. You have though of everything and are the best mom ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the best mom and God knew that! I love your plan for Hunter ...how wonderful to have all that land and such a beautifully well thought out future for Hunter! .
    Keep up the good work 5 mile run! Amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee...you are one amazing lady, sweet mom and smart business woman. I love your plan for the future, you and your family are so smart and I am sure everyone in your community will be buying the best produce from Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sign is adorable, Renee! And what a wonderful post. You truly are a super mom! Love the idea of your plans for Hunter. We were able to visit a somewhat similar business in July. It is a family run farm where they grow blueberries, blackberries and asparagus. Reservations can be made if you want to visit and pick your own, which is what we did. Lovely family and we enjoyed such a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful life story you are writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really do have an incredible plan! This is such an inspiring post - and you are a very special mom. Love your idea for the cover plate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your ideas. You are a visionary. Hunter is so lucky to have you for a mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...